Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tactical, Practical, and Precision Rifle

Graham Smith

I don't expect to get into rifles any time soon (other than my .22), but I've been trying to read up on rifle shooting sports and it's very confusing.

On one end, there is the clearly defined category of Precision Rifle - shoot real far with a massive rifle with a real big scope. On the other end is Tactical Rifle, which seem to mainly be short carbines of the AR/AK variety. I've pretty much got that sorted.

But there seems to be this wide crossover emerging that includes both types of shooting - at least that's what I seem to keep running into when I'm searching on the internet. For example, I know someone who just took a Precision Rifle class and it included alot of stuff that I would have expected from a Tactical Rifle class plus some 500+ yard stuff. I've seen a number of courses advertised like this.

I've seen it referred to as Practical Rifle but it seems to have become a growing sport. It also looks to be quite expensive as it seems to involve highly accurate versions of tactical rifles (like the JP15) and scopes (like the ACOG) which can cost as much as a beginners rifle.

Can someone point me to some web sources where I can learn more about what's going on in this arena? Like I said, I'm not likely to get into it anytime soon, but it is interesting.

Go to Colorado multi gun website, they hold "Practical Rifle" matches, basically the difference is that more emphasis is placed on "moderately extreme"??? distances rather than extreme distances. and the rifles used can be more multi purpose than highly specialized. So you will see auto 308's, 260's, 223's, 243's etc. however they still use highly magnified optics with a 10x scope being at the lower end of useful magnification.

Some multi gun matches are taking this and directing the rifle portion of the match in this direction, rather than more realistic distances.

Trapr

http://demigodllc.com/articles/practical-l...ting-equipment/

Great article, well written from beginner to competition.

Randy

edited to add:

Localy we run a practical rifle match once a month that has 2 classes(hunter and precision) and 8 shooting positions. Hunter class is 45 targets ranging from 150 yds to 350(one 500yd target) and precision class is 64 targets ranging from 350-900 yds. Par time is used and changes depending on how many targets from the current shooting position and what range. Figure 3.5 to 4 minutes for precision class 8 targets at multiple ranges. Each shooting position is comparable to a stage in a USPSA match in that all squad members shoot from current position and then move as a group to the next position.

Edited by h2osport

I believe I better understand this now. Traditional precision rifle is largely bolt action rifles shooting 500+ yds. Tactical rifle is semi-autos shooting at relatively short distances. Practical rifle is semi-autos shooting short to middle distance against time.

So, if I wanted to shoot long distance, I'd start with something like a Remington 700. Whereas if I were going to shoot middle distance, I could start with the 700 but might be better starting with something like an .308 AR that would be more flexible down the line. Yes?

And, assuming the latter, limited funds and no time table, it would be best to pick up a lower then build from there?

Out in the Southwest we have "Precision Rifle" Challenge/Competition (PRC). There's a "circuit" of matches that we have --- Sin City PRC (Las Vegas), Nor Cal PRC (Ione, CA), So Cal PRC (Fontana, CA) and Tactics PRC (Arizona). Some of the matches allow semis... some don't.

These matches are generally limited to 600-700 yards. Only NorCal has 1000 yard stages.

Generally we have a 100-200 yard or less portion where we basically shoot paper. Usually around MOA or less. If you take a look at my vid for the Sin City PRC at around 3:44 you can see some of the paper targets that are used.

This "evolution" is highly relevant to Police snipers as their engagement is usually <100 yards.

Then we have steel from anywhere from 100-700 yards. Movers at ~400 meters. Etc.

A lot of the stages are pretty similar to what we would do in three gun... except it is more static, the ranges are a tad longer and the targets are smaller.

Some of the other stages that Sin City PRC had:

Not too far from what you would see at a 3 gun match.

Generally we have a 100-200 yard or less portion where we basically shoot paper. Usually around MOA or less. If you take a look at my vid for the Sin City PRC at around 3:44 you can see some of the paper targets that are used.

Interesting. From the video, it appears that most everyone is using a bolt action rifle at middle distances (200+). This is also part of why I find it confusing. I see other descriptions of practical rifle shooting semi-autos at 50-200 yds max and others seem to be shooting short ARs on what I would call pistol courses.

Like I said, it all seems to be muddled together with the same terms being used to describe different things.