Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I have been reading recently about a material called sorbothane that is supposed to absorb 94+% of impact (or recoil) It is sold in sheets of 6"x6" and 12"x12" sheets of 1/8th" material and I'm sure it can be had in other sizes.

The question is, have any of you guys/gals seen this material used in shooting vest shoulder areas or perhaps lining a glove? This is supposed to be some wonder material that you can lay a piece of it on your hand and hit it with a hammer and basically not feel it. ;)

I'm just repeating he hype. I haven't hit myself lately with a hammer.

Anyway, What have you heard about this "wonder" material?

dj

I have been reading recently about a material called sorbothane that is supposed to absorb 94+% of impact (or recoil) It is sold in sheets of 6"x6" and 12"x12" sheets of 1/8th" material and I'm sure it can be had in other sizes.

The question is, have any of you guys/gals seen this material used in shooting vest shoulder areas or perhaps lining a glove? This is supposed to be some wonder material that you can lay a piece of it on your hand and hit it with a hammer and basically not feel it. ;)

dj

dj

kick-eez pads use the sorbothane you mentioned....

really big in the shotgunning world.

interesting question about using it as a pad....

look forward to seeing other replies

ad

dj

I have used it but not in a gun. I used some Sorbothane insoles in some hiking boots many years ago and they were pretty awsome.

A lot of the larger caliber Revolvers are using Sorbothane or a knock off in their grips. I think the Pachmayr "Decelerator" pads are very similar to Sorbothane.

Sorbothane is kind of old now. There are new materials that you see in some interesting applications, among them a product from Sims Vibration Laboratories called Navcom. It appears as a funny looking mushroom that slips onto a rifle barrel to help tune the harmonic "whip" that a long tube goes through on firing. Definitely uncool looking but works very well. Also used to dampen the vibration signature of modern compound bows to quiet them. There is a lineup of recoil pads, either slip-on or gunsmith installed that work exceptionally well on heavy recoil long guns. It's ability to quiet a heavy compound bow is nothing short of amazing, if you know anything about noise dampening materials. I have such a pad on a .338 Win Mag long range rifle system and I think it's WONDERFUL!! Especially after about 30 rounds 250 gr. ammo that gets out at about 2900fps!!