Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SHOOTING CHRONY F1

Limited Custom

Have anybody using one of the "SHOOTING CHRONY F1"

I've found that its not reliable. Or I just shoot it too close......

I've readings from 3000-8000 FPS even shot it 5feet away.

Can anyone give me advise??

I use one, and find that it is really sensitive to the light level. Trying to chrono at dusk is a no-go, direct sunlight going in the sensors - no-go. I generally put a target over the top, white side toward the sensors - shading the sensors from direct sunlight, and I get good readings then.

Mark K.

Have anybody using one of the "SHOOTING CHRONY F1"

I've found that its not reliable. Or I just shoot it too close......

I've readings from 3000-8000 FPS even shot it 5feet away.

Can anyone give me advise??

I use one, and find that it is really sensitive to the light level. Trying to chrono at dusk is a no-go, direct sunlight going in the sensors - no-go. I generally put a target over the top, white side toward the sensors - shading the sensors from direct sunlight, and I get good readings then.

Mark K.

Mark

How far do you need to shoot from?

Do you know what happen when I get the funny 3000 FPS readings?

Edited by Limited Custom

When I had one I found that 9-10 feet worked well for pistol. And, 12-14 feet for rifle. Like Mark K said, set it up in the shade. NO direct sunlight and you should be good to go.

Jim

5 feet is very close. You could be reading unburnt powder or other crap from the gun. Try 15-30 feet to see if they chrony settles in and is more consistent. I've got the same model, and I usually go as far as possible, but still close enough to read the numbers.

Other posts are correct too, direct sunlight in late evenings or early mornings are more difficult.

I've run mine against a couple other brands, and found as much as a 30 fps discrepancy, but the error was constant (always the same), so I'm not sure which one was correct.

I used one for pistol for two years before replacing it. My problem was the reverse - the only place I could set one up was indoors and for that I really needed a unit that had it's own light source. I did have it working using lamps and the sky baffles, but it was a hassle to setup.

Other than that, I got pretty consistent results.