Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sig p229 in 22 cal

gmel

I can't answer your question directly about the P229 in .22LR, because I don't own one. I do own a P226 .22LR conversion kit and it works really well for me. With ammunition costs being as high as they are, the conversion kit saved me quite a bit of money this year for my practice sessions. My conversion kit really liked to be run wet with oil for the first several hundred rounds. Now it runs just fine with a light layer of Slide Glide grease.

One negative comment about the .22LR conversion kits is that the sights that come standard tend to shoot a couple of inches high (there have been a lot of posts about this on Sigforum). The good news it that the front dovetail is exactly identical to the front dovetail on all of the Classic Sigs. The rear sight dovetail is sized for a new style LPA adjustable rear sight. The only solution is really to change out the front sight to something taller. The front sight that comes on the conversion kit is already taller than the tallest Sig factory front sight. My solution was to install a really tall Dawson Precision fiber optic front sight, which worked perfectly for me because I use Dawson's on my competition Sigs so the sight picture is nearly the same.

As far as accuracy goes. It's not a S&W Model 41, but it can easily shoot a 1" group at 10 yards.

I use my conversion kit to work on target to target transitions and shooting on the move. I don't like using it to shoot splits because the timing is considerably different than my 9mm pistols.

The most important lesson I learned is to finish your practice session with some full power ammo. The first time I shot my conversion kit before a match I didn't do this. The first stage of the match the next day, on my first shot I thought maybe I double charged a handload. I stood there thinking about what happened until I realized I shoot a couple hundred .22LR rounds the day before.

I purchased as many different types of ammunition as I could to figure out what was going to work the best with my conversion kit. Fortunately for me, my conversion kit likes CCI Blazer bulk pack the best.