Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Can't remove 22 conversion kit slide.

amv

I recently put a Kimber 22 conversion kit on my Kimber TLE. I had no problem getting it on. However it's impossible to get off. I brought it to my local gun shop and they had the same problem. I am able to field strip it, spring and bushing off, up until the point you slide off the kit. It seems it's hitting up against something.

I'm about to send it to Kimber but I figured I would check on here first to see if anyone has any experience with this. Thanks.

I recently put a Kimber 22 conversion kit on my Kimber TLE. I had no problem getting it on. However it's impossible to get off. I brought it to my local gun shop and they had the same problem. I am able to field strip it, spring and bushing off, up until the point you slide off the kit. It seems it's hitting up against something.

I'm about to send it to Kimber but I figured I would check on here first to see if anyone has any experience with this. Thanks.

I know it's going to sound a little silly, but put everything back together until the gun will cycle normally. Then, without taking the spring/bushing out, pull back on the slide enough to remove the slide stop, pop it out and see if the top end will move forward off the slide. You'll have to be a bit careful as the spring is under tension and will go flying, but if you go slow it shouldn't be a problem.

I only suggest this because the recoil system and barrel lower lug area is different and taking tension off of it might be causing it to hang on something in the dust cover....it's worth a shot.

Thanks, great suggestions unfortunately I'm still having the problem. I'll give Kimber a call on Tuesday...

Will it move forward at all, i.e. like none at all, a quarter inch, an inch...anything?

It's also possible that the front of the breachface at the bottom (stripper rail) is hanging on the disconnector. I'd remove the slide stop, normally, hold the slide in place manually, dry fire it without releasing the trigger....then try pushing the slide forward off the frame. R,

Found this on Kimber's website: (in the rimfire .pdf)

DISASSEMBLY (FIELD STRIPPING)

This product should be cleaned after every use and when exposed to dirt, sand, etc. When not in use, clean at least twice per year. Perform all safety checks to Clear the pistol

1. With the pistol unloaded, the magazine removed and the hammer down, depress the recoil spring plug, with the supplied wrench, or your thumb and turn the barrel bushing clockwise, towards the right side of the pistol until the recoil spring plug and recoil spring are free. Be careful, the recoil spring and plug are under tension and can fly out with sustantial force.

2. Ease out recoil spring and plug. If recoil spring does not come out easily, remove plug and leave the spring for step 6.

3. Cock the hammer and push the slide rearward until the semi-circular tab on the back of the slide stop aligns with the semi-circular disassembly notch in the bottom of the slide.

4. Push inward on the end of the slide stop shaft on the right side of the pistol and remove the slide stop from the left side.

5. Remove the slide assembly forward off the frame.

6. Remove the recoil spring through the opening at the front of the slide.

7. Remove the recoil spring guide from the bottom of the slide .

8. Turn the barrel bushing counterclockwise until the lug aligns with the opening and remove the bushing from the front of the slide.

9. Pull the barrel forward clear of the slide. The pistol is now disassembled for cleaning purposes (field stripped). Do not drop the hammer while slide is removed from the pistol.

Nik, Thanks. Those are just general directions for field stripping a 1911. That's what I tried the first time, and numerous other times.

Bart, I tried what you said and had no luck. The slide slides forward about 3/4 inch abd then gets stuck on something...

I called Kimber today. They thought it was probably the Schwartz safety. He had me use the grip part as a hammer to see if we could knock it loose. Then when he realized I could slide the slide back over the hammer he had me go through the opening and push down with a pen on the little catch that protrudes when the safety is on. I tried several times and it did not work.

We went over instructions to send the gun back. Then when we got off the phone I tried several more times. Then I gave up, was about to put the gun away when I tugged one last time and it came right off. Go figure!