Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Any chance that Federal Small pistol magnum primers-

DyNo!

are as hard or softer than Winchester small pistol?

I can't tell and difference between the Federal SPM primer hardness and the regular Federal SP primers. With the shortage of primers, Federal Small pistol Mag. primers is all that I have been shooting. It seems that most people do not want them so they are available sometimes. They both are softer than Winchester.

Edited by M109R

are as hard or softer than Winchester small pistol?

I can't tell and difference between the Federal SPM primer hardness and the regular Federal SP primers. With the shortage of primers, Federal Small pistol Mag. primers is all that I have been shooting. It seems that most people do not want them so they are available sometimes. They both are softer than Winchester.

Thanks, just got 10k!

https://www.grafs.com/receipt/72067/product/257921

That's a good price. I just paid $155 per case for Federal Match SP primers - one of the only things I could find.

Of course, now you have to get into the whole business of using magnum primers in non-magnums and rework all your loads.

In my testing with .38SC major loads the Fed SPM are slightly harder than Win SP and clearly harder than Fed SP. Fed SP are pretty flat, Win SP have just a bit of flattening and Fed SPM are pretty much perfect looking. I noticed something along the lines of a consistent 15fps or so increase over Win SP if my memory is right...I'll have to go check as I started a thread about it. R,

In my testing with .38SC major loads the Fed SPM are slightly harder than Win SP and clearly harder than Fed SP. Fed SP are pretty flat, Win SP have just a bit of flattening and Fed SPM are pretty much perfect looking. I noticed something along the lines of a consistent 15fps or so increase over Win SP if my memory is right...I'll have to go check as I started a thread about it. R,

This has been my understanding as well. Here are my thoughts on the subject from another thread... Bart, I'd be interested to hear if your findings are likewise.

This has been my understanding as well. Here are my thoughts on the subject from another thread... Bart, I'd be interested to hear if your findings are likewise.

Here's a link to the thread I started on this:

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?...t&p=1022851

A previous day with the same components except using a Fed SR primer gave me 10fps more than the FSPM, but it was a smaller sample size and it's hard to directly compare two different days with different conditions. I'd say the FSR and FSPM can be substituted for one another pretty readily and they both seem to stand up to the pressure similarly (essentially look identical). R,

A previous day with the same components except using a Fed SR primer gave me 10fps more than the FSPM, but it was a smaller sample size and it's hard to directly compare two different days with different conditions. I'd say the FSR and FSPM can be substituted for one another pretty readily and they both seem to stand up to the pressure similarly (essentially look identical). R,

I did some testing of different primers with my Limited gun, and was surprised to find no significant increases in the Win SP-Magnum or Win Sm Rifle primers over standard WSP. Same for CCI SP and SP-Magnum, and Fed Sm Rifle. Here are my results:

post-11452-1254887493_thumb.jpg

Edited by Xfactor

I did some testing of different primers with my Limited gun, and was surprised to find no significant increases in the Win SP-Magnum or Win Sm Rifle primers over standard WSP. Same for CCI SP and SP-Magnum, and Fed Sm Rifle. Here are my results:

My guess (just a guess) is that N320 is fast enough that you're probably already getting about an ideal burn with a standard primer whereas with something slow like N105 (what my loads were) the SPM/SR will give a little more complete burn and a touch higher velocity. R,

My guess (just a guess) is that N320 is fast enough that you're probably already getting about an ideal burn with a standard primer whereas with something slow like N105 (what my loads were) the SPM/SR will give a little more complete burn and a touch higher velocity. R,

Ahhh... that makes sense. Especially in my 6" barrel.

• 2 weeks later...

After doing some more research on primers, I can see why this would be true. The increased brisance as you go from SP, to SP-Mag, to SR generally incorporates not only a bigger flame, but a longer burning flame... which is just the ticket with slower burning powders like those used in Open loads.