Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reloading manual discrepancies?

kjtpa

I was out of powder (Titegroup) for my plated 147 9mm target loads and was given an open can of IMR 700x. It looks like it should be a good choice but there is a big discrepancy in the load data right from IMR! From their reloading center if you search they have a 9mm Hornady 147 XTP and show 2.9 gr as max for 838 fps. If you download the manual it list the same Hornady at 3.7 gr for 935 fps. The download manual is a scan of an old book. Was there a formula change? Anybody using this powder with 147 9mm's??

I was out of powder (Titegroup) for my plated 147 9mm target loads and was given an open can of IMR 700x. It looks like it should be a good choice but there is a big discrepancy in the load data right from IMR! From their reloading center if you search they have a 9mm Hornady 147 XTP and show 2.9 gr as max for 838 fps. If you download the manual it list the same Hornady at 3.7 gr for 935 fps. The download manual is a scan of an old book. Was there a formula change? Anybody using this powder with 147 9mm's??

I think 700X is a little bit on the fast side for 147s in 9mm as it's faster than what you see a lot of folks here using....Solo 1000, N320, Titegroup etc, so it may not be a great choice if you're trying to make Minor. If it's just for plinking or punching paper I'm sure you can find a combo that works.

That aside, the difference you're probably seeing is that the load in the manual is with a 147gr STP and the load in the online data center is a 147gr HP/XTP. JHP's tend to take up more case volume than round nose/flat point/truncated cone etc. Since they take up more case volume it increases pressures. Also, the load with the STP is at a longer COAL, which decreases pressure (using less case volume).

So, when you combine a bullet profile that uses less case volume, with a longer COAL to use even less case volume, you're going to be able to use more powder before getting to the pressure limits. In such a fast powder .8gr is a pretty large difference, but keep in mind that the testing was probably done on different machines and there could be other differences not noted (online data center doesn't tell you the case brand or primer which will both make a difference).

All of this is why they always remind you to start low and work upwards. If you change anything at all from their recipe it's even more important to do so because there are some odd things out there they can't reasonably predict. R,

One thing I forgot to add. If you're still using the plated bullet, you can normally use data from lead bullets (Lyman data is the most common it seems). They Lyman manual shows a 147gr lead (looks like flat point) at 1.058" with a max of 3.3gr for 921fps. R,

Thanks for clarifying the bullet differences. I am trying to make minor for Action Pistol. This is really confused because I have seen several powder burn rate charts (Chart 1, Chart 2, Chart 3) and they put 700x all over the place... some show it as very fast, faster than Accurate Solo 1000 or Titegroup. I have heard that the faster powers give less felt recoil and I do want that.

So for plated 147 gr 9mm is this powder going to make minor?? Anybody ever use it for that?

Thanks for clarifying the bullet differences. I am trying to make minor for Action Pistol. This is really confused because I have seen several powder burn rate charts (Chart 1, Chart 2, Chart 3) and they put 700x all over the place... some show it as very fast, faster than Accurate Solo 1000 or Titegroup. I have heard that the faster powers give less felt recoil and I do want that.

So for plated 147 gr 9mm is this powder going to make minor?? Anybody ever use it for that?

Keep in mind that burn rate charts are just ballpark. Just because a powder is "faster" on the chart than another, it might actually perform in a slower fashion, because inside the case, under pressure, is a different environment from an open burn (what they do for the charts).

It looks like you should be able to make Minor with it, but it will depend somewhat on the gun and the exact bullet. If someone just gave you a partial can I don't know that it's worth really developing a load for it....just order a bunch of something you like and be done with it. R,

I loaded 3.3 of 700X with a 147 Montana Gold bullet to a 130 + power factor for a while. I ran out of Bullseye and had a couple of pounds of 700X I won someplace. It shot OK and didn't give any signs of pressure. The main reason I switched to another powder is because of the powder spillage when loading. The flakes would bounce out when the shellplate clicked into position.

Thanks for the load recommendation, I will try it. The open can I received is nearly full and it is an 8 pounder! That is why I am trying to find a use for it. I tried 4.3 gr behind a 40 cal 180 plated and it was very accurate and pretty low recoil. Anyone use 700x for a major 40 cal load?