Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.308 Light Bullet Loads

sleepercaprice1

While talking to some of the shooters at the DPMS Tri-Gun this year, I learned that some are using light (110-135 grain) bullets in their .308's. My understanding is that light, fast loads make less recoil and the comps work better.

With a 1/10 twist, I thought that heavier bullets would work better, but a couple guys claimed MOA or less at the 200 yard range most midwest 3 gun matches are shot at.

I've never experimented with bullets that light. Anybody got any ideas for a load or components to start out with?

I'd start with a low velocity load for say a 155 or 168 and go from there. It'll be safe with the lighter bullets.

Rich

Thanks. I have loading manuals and am familiar with loading procedures. I've been loading rifle rounds for over 30 years. What I hoped for was some specific recommendations as far as what bullets will likely work well. For example 110 V-Max, 125 TNT, 135 MK, etc. Powder recommendations would be welcomed as well. I've loaded 150-180 grain bullets for years in both .308 and .30-06. I'm looking for info on what works well in .308 gas guns with light bullets.

I did a bit of load development with my brother's DPMS LR-308 and the Speer 110 gr. Hot-Cor was by far the most accurate bullet I put through it. I was stunned that such a short, light bullet could be so accurate, and I did not have any reliability issues either. Also, these were very old bullets, at least 25 years old. I don't know if they have changed since then. I no longer have the load data but I could probably find out, if you want.

Dave Sinko

I did a bit of load development with my brother's DPMS LR-308 and the Speer 110 gr. Hot-Cor was by far the most accurate bullet I put through it. I was stunned that such a short, light bullet could be so accurate, and I did not have any reliability issues either. Also, these were very old bullets, at least 25 years old. I don't know if they have changed since then. I no longer have the load data but I could probably find out, if you want.

Dave Sinko

Thanks. That's the kind of info I'm looking for. If you stumble across it, I'd like to know what powder you had success with. I have several powders that should be usable. I'll try some of the Speer 110's.

• 2 weeks later...