Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cleaning magazines that are "crunchy"

Classic_jon

Hello,

I have a Springfield XD .40 Service and one of my mag's (#6 to be exact) is "crunchy" feeling after the 7th round. I have taken the mag apart, Wiped the spring off, wiped out the mag itself with a rag very well, run a brush in it with some solvent, wiped it out again, lightly oiled it, repeated said process a couple of times and it still feels "crunchy" after the 7th round....

I took apart another mag and verified that I had the spring inserted correctly and that the spring in the offending mag was not bent or anything simple to spot.

Any Ideas?

Edited by Classic_jon

Hello,

I have a Springfield XD .40 Service and one of my mag's (#6 to be exact) is "crunchy" feeling after the 7th round. I have taken the mag apart, Wiped the spring off, wiped out the mag itself with a rag very well, run a brush in it with some solvent, wiped it out again, lightly oiled it, repeated said process a couple of times and it still feels "crunchy" after the 7th round....

I took apart another mag and verified that I had the spring inserted correctly and that the spring in the offending mag was not bent or anything simple to spot.

Any Ideas?

You most likely have dirt particles embedded in the magazine follower.

Options for fixing are scrub mag follower with a 3m pad to get sand and dust particles out. Or you can buy a replacement follower for a few bucks.

Have you tried swapping out internals between the good mag and the crunchy mag? I would swap one part at a time to determine which is "crunchy"...as in spring first, then follower, then mag pad etc...

I tried that and narrowed it down to the follower. I then did what Kaiserb suggested and scrubbed the follower with a scrubber pad and it is smooth as silk now.

Thanks for the suggestion it helped.

Hello,

Any Ideas?

You most likely have dirt particles embedded in the magazine follower.

Options for fixing are scrub mag follower with a 3m pad to get sand and dust particles out. Or you can buy a replacement follower for a few bucks.

I narrowed it down to the follower and scrubbed it lightly and that worked like a champ!

I am betting this is the mag I dumped in some gritty dirt this weekend and it was stuck on the follower until I scrubbed it a little.