Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

First 1911 Purchase: Just a Little Self Conscious

doc540

Yer welcome. :)

You sure he didn't adjust the rear sight, since that is generally far more easily accomplished than adjusting the front?

Nope, for some strange reason (and I trusted his judgement), he said he adjusted the front sight instead of the rear.

It appeared the rear sight was already a little off center in the direction that would have corrected the 2".

So, just guessing, he didn't want to move it any further.

We'll see how it shoots soon.

re: grips

I'm really not interested in the "coolness" factor of the gun's look and thought the finger grips would help control. And, holy moly, men have as many 1911 grip options as women have with shoes!

The factory grips seem ok, but they do look kind'a "cheap".

If I want to eventually shoot this gun in IDPA, I better heed your advice and stick with factory-style grips.

Even at my advanced age, I still take advice from those skilled in areas in which I'm a noob.

thnx again

You're very welcome. BTW, 59 does not strike me as "advanced age" by any means.

If the stock grips look kind of cheap to you, there are a multiplicity of really great wooden grips out there you might switch over to that will not interfere with drawing the gun, not turn your frame to rust, and have a lot of eye appeal. Really, personalizing the gun in the area of the grips is one of the things a lot of 1911 guys just HAVE to do. But really, this is an inexpensive gun. Glory in it. :)

You're very welcome. BTW, 59 does not strike me as "advanced age" by any means.

If the stock grips look kind of cheap to you, there are a multiplicity of really great wooden grips out there you might switch over to that will not interfere with drawing the gun, not turn your frame to rust, and have a lot of eye appeal. Really, personalizing the gun in the area of the grips is one of the things a lot of 1911 guys just HAVE to do. But really, this is an inexpensive gun. Glory in it. :)

Do "Herrett's" have a pretty good rep?

Don't know how thick or thin these are, but they seem practical and have some eye appeal.

hb1butt.jpg

They do, actually. Though bear in mind if you just order a pair over the 'net, sight unseen, they won't look like the pair in the photo. Wood is just way too variable a material for that. Best to buy a pair from a local store so you can know what you're gettting, or one of the makers who actually has a photo of THAT EXACT PAIR OF GRIPS online. Where did that photo come from, just out of curiosity?

They do, actually. Though bear in mind if you just order a pair over the 'net, sight unseen, they won't look like the pair in the photo. Wood is just way too variable a material for that. Best to buy a pair from a local store so you can know what you're gettting, or one of the makers who actually has a photo of THAT EXACT PAIR OF GRIPS online. Where did that photo come from, just out of curiosity?

random pic from google images

guy on gb is selling some Herrett's with specific I.D. numbers

just window shopping now

thnx