Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

JP-CTR-02 problem in 1st 3-gun match

Rowdy-Finn

Did it do this from the start of the match or later? With full or empty mags? I would check the gas block - it may not be open wide enough. Problem I had was that I set the gas block with a clean and oiled gun and once it got dirty it wouldn't have enough gas to cycle properly. Try opening the gas block a half turn.

At the first sense of a stoppage, keep the gun downrange, and LOOK at the bolt/carrier through the ejection port:

If the bolt is half way - Pull the mag, cycle the bolt to clear the rounds, insert mag, cycle the bolt, resume;

If the bolt is locked back - Mag Change, resume;

If the bolt is almost closed - Bump the forward assist ONCE, If that does not close easily, do the stoppage clearing drill; If it closes easily, resume;

Understand that any AR15 type rifle that does not operate easily is telling you something. It is either dirty or you have a gun problem. There is one exception - putting a fully loaded mag into the gun with the bolt forward can be tough. That is why may of us wear GI 30's with only 28 in them. Pmags supposedly reload fine with 30.

Maintenance is required of Semiauto rifles. This best done after every range session or match:

Clean the chamber, GI chamber brush, solvent, dry patch;

Clean the bolt and carrier. Drop the firing pin, cam pin, bolt - get as much of the crud out as you can easily, and wipe it all down;

Drop the extractor and get the crud out from the recess and the part itself, check that the extractor is still sharp. If in doubt, install a new one with new spring and rubber. Oil and reinstall;;

Check the ejector with an empty case hooked under the extractor and pump the ejector. A drop of oil here is insurance;

Find the bright spots on the carrier and bolt - They all get at least a drop of oil;

Reasssemble the bolt and carrier with oil (or moly grease) on all of the bright spots, and pit drops through the vent holes in the carrier, exercise the bolt a couple times;

Check that the gas rings will hold the bolt against gravity. If they won't get that spare set in there;

Those of us interested in continuing accuracy will clean the bore using a rod guide, one piece rod, and our chemical/mechanical combination of choice;

Pull the operating handle and clean the crap off of it and its operating channel;

Clean any mags that hit the dirt, and any that have more than a couple loadings on them. Strip, get rid of the dirt, firing residues, brass and jacket shavings, etc. Reassemble.

Some folks have other items, but this works pretty well.

When a malf occurs, stick a paster on the mag and write the malf info on if;

If it fed two rounds, the mag lips are probably in rough shape, and the mag will fail a "fountain test" - Load the mag, hold it lips up, and thump the base on a wooden block that is firmly supported on a table or the ground. If rounds fountain out of the mag, the body is shot.

If it did not get rid of the fired round, and followed it with a loaded round, fountain test the mag. Maintenance should make all kinds of difference.

My guns work fine with GI mags, but if in doubt, PMags won't hurt...

Billski

Edited by wsimpso1

• 2 weeks later...
Did it do this from the start of the match or later? With full or empty mags? I would check the gas block - it may not be open wide enough. Problem I had was that I set the gas block with a clean and oiled gun and once it got dirty it wouldn't have enough gas to cycle properly. Try opening the gas block a half turn.
Thanks! I'll try that.

At the first sense of a stoppage, keep the gun downrange, and LOOK at the bolt/carrier through the ejection port:

If the bolt is half way - Pull the mag, cycle the bolt to clear the rounds, insert mag, cycle the bolt, resume;

If the bolt is locked back - Mag Change, resume;

If the bolt is almost closed - Bump the forward assist ONCE, If that does not close easily, do the stoppage clearing drill; If it closes easily, resume;

Understand that any AR15 type rifle that does not operate easily is telling you something. It is either dirty or you have a gun problem. There is one exception - putting a fully loaded mag into the gun with the bolt forward can be tough. That is why may of us wear GI 30's with only 28 in them. Pmags supposedly reload fine with 30.

Maintenance is required of Semiauto rifles. This best done after every range session or match:

Clean the chamber, GI chamber brush, solvent, dry patch;

Clean the bolt and carrier. Drop the firing pin, cam pin, bolt - get as much of the crud out as you can easily, and wipe it all down;

Drop the extractor and get the crud out from the recess and the part itself, check that the extractor is still sharp. If in doubt, install a new one with new spring and rubber. Oil and reinstall;;

Check the ejector with an empty case hooked under the extractor and pump the ejector. A drop of oil here is insurance;

Find the bright spots on the carrier and bolt - They all get at least a drop of oil;

Reasssemble the bolt and carrier with oil (or moly grease) on all of the bright spots, and pit drops through the vent holes in the carrier, exercise the bolt a couple times;

Check that the gas rings will hold the bolt against gravity. If they won't get that spare set in there;

Those of us interested in continuing accuracy will clean the bore using a rod guide, one piece rod, and our chemical/mechanical combination of choice;

Pull the operating handle and clean the crap off of it and its operating channel;

Clean any mags that hit the dirt, and any that have more than a couple loadings on them. Strip, get rid of the dirt, firing residues, brass and jacket shavings, etc. Reassemble.

Some folks have other items, but this works pretty well.

When a malf occurs, stick a paster on the mag and write the malf info on if;

If it fed two rounds, the mag lips are probably in rough shape, and the mag will fail a "fountain test" - Load the mag, hold it lips up, and thump the base on a wooden block that is firmly supported on a table or the ground. If rounds fountain out of the mag, the body is shot.

If it did not get rid of the fired round, and followed it with a loaded round, fountain test the mag. Maintenance should make all kinds of difference.

My guns work fine with GI mags, but if in doubt, PMags won't hurt...

Billski

Thank you for all this good advice! I will print it out and work on that dang' rifle!!

JP advised me to do the '2 round' test forthe gas block, load 2 rounds, fire the first to check for cycle, fire the second to check for bolt hold open, if it works for both rounds your golden, if not a lil over gassed, also check the rifle in both clean and 'dirty/fouled' conditions w the same ammo...