Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dry Fire Drills

cardboardkiller

One I've been doing a lot lately is what I'll call Drawing with your eyes closed.  I believe it will help me establish index, and get off faster first shots.

Here's what you do:

Assume shooting stance, close your eyes, and draw your weapon, assuming a firing grip.  Now open your eyes.  Are your sights aligned, and are you looking at them?  

I don't think you really need a target at all.  The goal is to consistently be able to draw and have the sights aligned without having to adjust anything using your eyes.  You can add a target, and adjust your feet to establish it as your natural point of aim, but that's really something else.

I started doing this a lot after shooting a steel plate match, and discovering that I need to exercise a lot of discipline to wait until the sights align on the first plate before shooting the first shot (if the first shot is on, usually the string goes well).  If I can reduce that time, and get the sights to align quicker, then I can get faster.

I don't time it at all, and I'll start doing slow draws, and gradually increase the speed.

DD