Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Query On Sti Rm (not An "is It Good" Question)

Newguy

I have an STI Recoilmaster for a bushing barrel that I want to install in a gun using a reverse guide rod plug. I called STI today and spoke with someone in sales (Ugh!!! What an arrogant jerk!). Anyway, he emphatically stated that I couldn't just install a reverse plug, but I also had to have a new spring (presumably he meant the recoil or the secondary spring).

Now, I'm just doing a reality check--shouldn't I be able to use the original RM recoil spring with a reverse plug? I assume that the secondary spring is the same for a bull or a bushing RM--only the guide rod plug is different. Am I correct?

For those that have the reverse gr plug, is it flanged?

Then he said that I couldn't just buy a guide rod plug but had to plunk down $85 for a whole new RM. If that's true, has anyone modified a reverse plug to fit an RM? My Briley reverse plug is just a little too narrow for the RM and I'm thinking of enlarging it. Should it work?

newguy,

yes, the springs are the same. yes the reverse plug for bull barrel is flanged. yes you can modify your reverse plug by opening up the I.D. about another 1/32nd. remember to polish the inside of the plug where the end of spring sits so it won't bind as the recoil spring spins during slide movement. who did you talk to at STI? i went thru this same deal and the man i spoke to (Chris) was very helpful. he sent me a new plug at no charge. hope this helps Chris Holtmeier

Chris, Thanks so much. It helped a whole lot!!!! Instead of destroying a recoil plug, I'll call Chris on Monday--apparently he's on vacation until then. The a-hole I spoke to was in sales. I really wish STI would do a better job of training their personnel. I just can't stomach arrogant guys who think they know it all but know nothing. Thanks for the help.