Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

hard primer strikes

Beretta Lover

I am running some military small rifle primers in my 9mm reloads

I bought these a while ago and I got a great deal on them and they have run well in my 9mm 1911 and 40 SW loads.

With a lighter mainspring/hammer spring I have light strikes in my 92.

I am using a competition spring weight, probably 16lb. I understand that a heavier spring will help here, I would like to know if an ELite hammer being precumably lighter is better for hard primer ignition?

I thought a heavier hammer would help with this. I have a Beretta DAO only type hammer that works in DA/SA mode and is lighter.

WOuld this maybe help out?

I can try all this at the range, but I would rather start off in the right direction.

thanks Brian

• 1 month later...

Some points to bear in mind before you assume it is the light hammer spring, in my opinion.

Do the light strikes occur in DA mode only or also in SA mode? If only in DA mode, this can be due to a timing issue - hammer DA hooks release from trigger bar engagement before firing pin safety plunger has been adequately moved upward to free the firing pin. I experienced this issue last year with my Elite 2, after several years of using polished internals. The problem was related to a worn trigger bar, and fixed by replacing it. Prior to that, I had never had any light strike issues - I was using a Langdon competition hammer spring with a lightened hammer (spur removed / bobbed flush with rear of slide).

The only other occurrence of light strikes I had seen involved another Elite 2 that had been tinkered with by a local gunsmith, who had both cut several coils off the hammer spring AND drilled/rebated the spring recess in the hammer spring cap. Problem was fixed by replacing both parts.

thanks for the info dude!

the M9 never does this but the 92FS match gun does.

The internals on the 92 are so polished and the springs are so light that the DA pull feels like a cap gun (nice)

I dont remember if it was a DA only issue or not, but I can drop another trigger bar in there and try it.

Maybe I over polished mine (it looks like chrome on the inside).