Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Light vs Heavy

38supPat

My name is Pat and I'm a trigger slapper...lol

I've always been a slapper, and I guess I always will be. In all my dryfire I prep the trigger, but when I shoot...particularily at speed...I slap. I know TGO is a slapper too, so what I wondering is, have you noticed a difference when shooting a light gun vs a heavy gun (especially a muzzle light gun) in points shot? I'm not sure if it's me or not, but I shoot better points with my heavier muzzled gun at speed and I think it's because the extra weight dampens the effect of slapping the trigger. I know, I know, I shouldn't make a difference as I should be paying attention to not moving the gun while pressing the trigger, but I'm still struggling with getting back into my old form. And because I'm caught between prepping, slapping and the resulting bad points, I'm losing confidence on longer shots which makes me jerky on stages. That was one of the main comments I got back after the Area 2, I just couldn't flow on the stages as I'd put the brakes on on harder shots...and still drop points.

What do you think?

Pat

TGO only slaps for easier shots. For more difficult shots, he "eases" the trigger right on through.

On gun weight, of course a heavier muzzled gun will cover up a not so smooth slapping technique better than a light gun will. But shooting a lighter gun will force you to learn better trigger control.

;)

I am obviously having visual patience issues I have to work through, it's just frustrating to be taking misses where I shouldn't be.

Think about the last half of that sentence.

;)

I know, I know.

:D

be

I'm also being a little hard on myself. I haven't had a chance to check my gun yet, but at the match on New Years day I had four misses, three on one stage (an 8 round speed shoot which obviously I zero'd. I don't like to blame equipment normally but I fired 9 rounds. I called the first a miss which it was, then I settled down and called 8 good shots. The targets were the "classic" target with noshoots covering up all but the top portion, maybe 1/4 to 1/5 of the target. at about 15 yds. The hits I did have were all A's and the other shots must have gone high. I haven't zero'd my gun since Area 2, but I don't think it could be off that much. If I had shot without calling the shots, I'd just be kicking myself and know I need more dry/live fire. But I was very confident going down range that the hits were there. The other miss was simply firing a shot too early setting up on a target and I didn't call it.

I used to have a consistent problem missing over the top of targets with no-shoots that covered everything about the top 1/3 or 1/4 of the target. One day in practice with Robbie, after I missed over the top of the same target/no-shoot setup several times in a row, he tore the head off a target and taped at the top of the shoot target's head. Guess what? I drilled it every time after that. And my time was exactly the same as when I was missing it.

I realized that on mid to close ranges shots like that, I'd never really locate the spot on the shoot target, then see my front sight on it. Feeling comfortable shooting "off a blur" just doesn't cut it for tougher shots.

be

Maybe thats the problem I'm having in general, I'm not paying attention to where I'm shooting on the target...I'm just shooting 'at' the target

See last reply. ;)

be

Ok, so I got a chance to check the guns today in practice...The sights were way high. Shooting at the center of the target, the bullets were hitting the top C zone line (turtle target) I shot a couple of hundred rounds really focusing on the dot and making sure it was always in the A zone (after adjusting the sights) and shot several strings. I ended up with a target with the A zone punched out and not any other stray shots aside from the sighters. With both guns too. Really paid attention to sight/trigger pull relationship...all in all a good practice. But the sight on the IMM was off again at the end of the session by almost the same amount. I'm going to locktite everything down and see if it stays.

All right - good luck with it!

be