Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Steel Master Chrono

born-in-45

Went out this morning to chrono a few powders for my Steel Master.

Temp: 87 Sunny

Ammo: MG 124gr CMJ, Winchester brass and small pistol primers, 1.170 oal.

RESULTS

True Blue 5.8 gr - 1026 avg velocity, 127.2 PF, High to Low deivation 16

WSF 5.1 gr - 1025 avg velocity, 127.1 PF, High to Low deviation 25

Universal Clays 4.8 gr - 1090 avg velocity, 135.1 PF, High to Low deviation 39

7625 5.1 gr - 1067 avg velocity, 132.5 PF, High to Low deviation 12

7625 4.8 gr - 1028 avg velocity, 127.4 PF, High to Low deviation 18

True Blue felt the best, less flip and more straight back push. I am going to bump the load up a couple 10ths as I am expecting something in the 1075 to 1100 range to be where I want to wind up. Will also play some more with WSP as it exhibited good dot tracking as well. I want to give N340 a try as well. More later.

GRINS

Edited by born-in-45

Curt I have a little bit of HS6 if you want to give that one a ride as well as some N350.

N350 shoots about same as TruBlue but less pressure, cleaner and cost twice as much.

Zero's are easier to push so you could drop a 10th or two on the powder.

If you are not going to use the 7625 put it in my trash can, it works great in 38 Super Major loads.

So did they send the steel master by mistake I thougt you were getting a Trojan in 40?

Curt I have a little bit of HS6 if you want to give that one a ride as well as some N350.

N350 shoots about same as TruBlue but less pressure, cleaner and cost twice as much.

Zero's are easier to push so you could drop a 10th or two on the powder.

If you are not going to use the 7625 put it in my trash can, it works great in 38 Super Major loads.

So did they send the steel master by mistake I thougt you were getting a Trojan in 40?

Ron, I got the 40, went thru it and freshened it up so I would have a good 40 for SS. I really prefer to shoot Open but with the eye problems I have had I was leary of going back to Open. So I finally decided I would try it shooting Minor (and steel) to see if the preassure bothers my eyes. If it works, I will then have to decide whether to stay with it or give Open major another try (I still have that Brazos Pro - 38 sitting in the safe). At my age I am just wanting to shoot for fun so maybe the Steel Master will allow such with optical sights. First outing was promising.

I'll bring the 7625 (only loaded 20 rounds from it) to the next match as I definately prefer True Blue over it in the Steel Master. I am going to try 340 tomorrow, along with hotter loads of True Blue and WSF. I'll see how that goes before making a decision on the N350. Don't know that I want a much fuller case than what N340 may be. I have 10K plus of MG 124gr so I will likely be sticking with them for some time.

GRINS

2nd trip to the range to chrono this morning. Decided to focus on True Blue and WSF. They feel very close to each other and have about the same accuracy. Both are proving to be pretty flat (dot stays in the lens) and the dot tracks well. Same ammo specs as 1st trip - 1.170 oal, MG 124 CMJ, Win brass/primer and temp was the same.

True Blue 6.15 gr - 1078 avg velocity, 133.7 PF, High to Low deviation 20

WSF 5.1 gr - 1074 avg velocity, 133.2 PF, High to Low deviation 43

Since I have 8 pounds of True Blue, I am going to work up several loads of it for comparisom - 6.0, 6.2, 6.4. When I tested the Winchester factory 115 ammo it was showing an average velocity of 1145, a 131.7 PF and deviation of 48. I suspect that 6.1 gr of True Blue will be right in step with the factory ammo in regards to PF but I want to see if a little deviation can result in a flatter gun.