Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

200gr .38 bullets

CRDB

I just recently got into casting, primarily so I could shoot 200 grain bullets in .38 Special without breaking the bank. I'm still working on finding the "right" 125 PF load for IDPA, but I'm making progress. I'm using the Lyman 358430 and I'm very happy with the bullet design. It looks kind of funny in .38 Special cases because it is so nose heavy, but it falls right into the cylinder.

For those that don't want to cast, Western Bullet Co. has several designs in the 200 grain weight range.

http://www.westernbullet.com/3535738caliber.html

Oh, BTW, my cast bullets are dropping at 199-201 grains from the 358430 mold using wheel weight lead. The majority of them are right at 200.5 before lubing.

Edited by Landric

The more info the better.

Thanks Charles.

No problem. I am going to try you 3 grains of Titegroup load out, hopefully this weekend. I'm really hoping to find what I am looking for using Trail Boss, as it fills out the case nicely and I have a bunch of it.

I'm also hoping to make it out to your place for a match before too long.

Thanks Charles.

No problem. I am going to try you 3 grains of Titegroup load out, hopefully this weekend. I'm really hoping to find what I am looking for using Trail Boss, as it fills out the case nicely and I have a bunch of it.

Charles,

Did you get a chance to try the load .

DB

Thanks Charles.

Charles,

Did you get a chance to try the load .

DB

I did. I tried several actually, all using Federal SP Primers. Here is what I found (all fired from a 4" 681):

3.0 grains of Titegroup, Ave. 640fps

4.1 grains of Trail Boss, Ave. 625fps

4.5 grains of Trail Boss, Ave. 703fps

5.2 grains of HS-6, Ave. 622fps

5.6 grains of HS-6, Ave. 690fps

I think I am going to land somewhere around 4.3 grains of Trail Boss since it fills the case nicely, and 4.5 put me a little higher than necessary. I have yet to test 4.3 though.

As for major PF loads in .38 Special brass using the same Lyman 358430 200 grain, I tried these:

6.5 grains of HS-6, Ave. 765fps (not enough)

6.9 grains of HS-6, Ave. 875fps

9.5 grains of 2400, Ave. 876fps

Neither of the successful major loads showed any signs of high pressure, and both were pretty pleasant to shoot.

Good Info, Thanks.

How are the loads for unburnt powder/dirt.

DB

The 2400 had a little unburned powder, which is not unusual for 2400 at .38 Special pressures, but otherwise everything was pretty clean. I had zero leading, I spent a lot of time cleaning the 681 (mostly because it had been through two matches without a clean, and lots of load testing), but cleaning the bore took all of about three swipes through with patches and a pass with a bore mop.

I've found both HS6 and Trail Boss to be very clean burning in the .38 Special, and Titegroup seems to be clean in everything, if one doesn't count the telltale burn marks on Titegroup fired brass.