Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Light pin strike

marcin c

I've used Dawson Precision trigger kit on my Edge 0.40. Recently replaced the sear/hammer/disconnector to SV. Been having light primer strikes (one in a 100 rounds or so). Primer is hit, there is a shallow imprint slightly off center.

Nothing else has been changed (same mainspring etc.) other than Swenson thumb safety beiing installed.

What could possibly cause these light strikes? E.g possibly different geometry of the SV hammer causing different strike force.. ?

First verify that primers are not high. Did you load this ammo or buy it? High primers will not ignite reliably.

Could be too little of overtravel causing the half cock notch to bump the sear and slowing the hammer enough for occasional light strikes.

Test like this. Hold trigger to rear and manually thumb hammer back and forth. If the hammer is bumping.....you will feel a notch in the upper arc of motion. If it is smooth feeling.....there is not contact.

If it hits....back overtravel adjustment screw in trigger out 1/4 turn at a time until it no longer touches.

Also....when the hammer is at rest.....is it tight against the firing pin stop? If not.....you will need a slightly longer strut.

Could also be the geometry of parts is different enough that the mainspring lacks some oomph. It may be necessary to replace the mainspring or to get a longer firing pin.

Edited by 00bullitt

Factory ammo, same I always use.

I believe there is no problem with lack of overtravel.

It might be that the STI strut is too short for SV hammer indeed. I suppose it should work with SV strut then (I'll get one)

Is a longer pin a good solution in any case? Any drawbacks?

Thanks for suggestions!