Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

EAA ez9 - Zastava?

Rob D

My youngest brother just bought an EAA ez9. It looks like a sig knock-off, but I don't know anything about them. I don't see it on the approved production gun list, but the company Zastava has a model approved (cz99) that looks to be identical. I was thinking they might be the same gun just imported under different names. Does anybody know? I'm clueless on this thing.

I told him to sell it and buy something else, but I shoot a glock, my dad shoots a CZ, my other brother shoots an XD, and this brother always wants something that nobody else has, so he's really into this gun. He might be less into it if he found out he has to shoot limited minor with 15 round mags because it's not production legal.

Thanks man. I'll shoot them an e-mail. Besides being production legal, does anybody know anything about these or have any experience with them?

Same gun as the Zastava (also marketed under the Charles Daly lineup as the ZDA).

Looks like a Sig 226, but is considerably different. A friend snagged one a while back, and so far has really liked it. He's a lefty, and the gun is completely ambi which probably helps. We noticed that it came pretty "stiff" from the factory, and required a couple nights of playing around with it to really break it in. A fluff and buff on some of the wear surfaces and the trigger also really helped it out.

My only "real" complaint with it was that the beavertail on it is pretty low. He got it pretty cheap, and it's more than surpasses either of our expectations, but he's thinking about taking a grinder to it to reshape it. Would probably help immensely.

It has NOTHING in common with a 75 by any maker.

Zastava is an arms maker in the former Yugoslavia (Serbia I thought) and they copied the Sig design. No idea if its any good or if its approved.

OTOH, 75 "clones" are all faithful to the original 75 - the CZ-75. American 75s include the Bren 10 and soon to be released incarnation from Valtor. Though not made in the US, the Springfield Armory P9, the Armalite AR-24 and the Colt Z-40 are all 75s. Almost all 75s are approved for USPSA, IPSC, or both.

Emailed NROI and got this response from John Amidon

Hi Robbie,

The approved list is update when a manufacturer provides and follows the steps posted at the top of the approved handgun list for the production division.

EAA would have to reach out if they have interest for their gun to be considered for approval.

If you have a contact with them, have them notify me.

John

Got to spend a little time with the pistol yesterday. It's made to LOOK like a sig, but that's about all they have in common. It definitely has nothing in common with a CZ75 like Carlos mentioned above. I sent an e-mail to EAA asking if they could provide the NROI with the info necessary to have it added to the production list, but I'm not holding my breath.

It looks like a decent pistol for the $299 price tag, but I'm in the process of talking my brother into trading it in on something a little more common.

Just got this e-mail from Amidon.

Hi Robbie,

I was finally able to make contact with the VP of EAA and they have signed and returned the compliance form, so the EAA EZ9 is now on the list of approved handgun for our Production division.

Regards,

John Amidon

That was fast!! Guess I could have held my breath after all.