Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Found SP Primers Today

Hey guys, thought I'd share and maybe give a glimmer of hope for those dying to get their hands on some primers. I live in Michigan, and there are two gun shops within 30 mins of my house. As of yesterday, both of them had CCI Small Pistol and CCI Small Magnum in stock. I refuse to purchase ANYTHING at of the aforementioned shops (Guns Galore), and I have read/heard several accounts of people also refusing to ever go there again. Anyways, I went to the other shop yesterday and they had approximately: 10 boxes of Large Pistol, 8 boxes of Small Pistol, and 4 boxes of Small Magnum (all CCI), BUT they were limiting them to 1000 primers per buyer. The previous three times I had been in there, they had NONE. The Small Pistol was $49 ($49.99 at the other gun shop), Small Magnum was $39 and I didn't check the price of the Large Pistol because I don't use them. I decided to hold off and didn't buy anything.

Went back today, they had 2 boxes of Small Pistol left, 2 boxes of Small Magnum left, and 5 boxes of Large Pistol left. I am in a wheelchair and shooting is really the only hobby I have. I didn't want to pay $49, and CCI's aren't my first choice in primers, but I figured I would rather get ripped off now and be able to enjoy shooting for a while, versus waiting god knows how long for more to come in and the prices to go back down (while sitting around and not being able to enjoy my hobby of reloading ammo and shooting.) I bought 1000 of the CCI 500 SP primers and if all they had were the Small Magnums, I would have bought 1000 of them. Yes, I could have saved $10 by just getting the Small Magnums but I don't have enough components to afford re-working all of my loads up to where they normally should be. Plus, I like to use very fast powders like Clays and Solo 1000 and my gut tells me not to mess around with the Magnums even though I have read of people on this forum using them without pressure signs (they did have to adjust their powder charges down however).

Hopefully this is a good sign of things to come and our precious primers will start pouring in again (and hopefully we will no longer get GOUGED on pricing). Has anyone else spotted pistol primers in their local gunshops recently?

-Kyle

Edited by kylethunder380