Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

how much time due to the gun?

fritzthemoose

Hi everyone.

I did have a discussion here on the board some time ago where the conclusion was that you make time when you are not shooting. While I can agree with that for the most part I am still interested to know your opinion on how much the gun is worth timewise

So what do you think is the difference in time per shot between a

Good setup 1911/2011 Open and an average setup 1911/2011 Open one?

Good setup 1911/2011 Open one and a good setup Glock Open one.

All of them in 9 Major. No difference between the shooter or the targets. Really just pure gun difference

That's going to be different for every shooter. For many folks it simply won't make any difference at all. In other words, if you're shooting .30 splits on a 10yd open target I doubt any gun change is going to show on the timer unless it's drastically wrong for you. I'd go so far as to say that for many people you could take the comp off their Open gun and their times wouldn't change.

Only the very best can normally take advantage of slight differences in gun setup/load etc. The only way to really get an answer is to compare, on the clock, and to do it in a deliberate fashion where you remove other variables as much as possible. R,

That is the only trouble with shooting a non-standard setup...it's hard not to wonder 'what if'. :blink:

When I ran my (mostly stock) Glock 35 in Limited, I got a lot of comments like..."just think what you could do with an STI".

For me, the answer to that was to take a look at things objectively.

- Measure my draw time to an Alpha at various distances.

- Run some Bill Drills.

- Check my split times.

- Check my transition times.

- Accuracy?

- Reliability?

- etc.

For example on a Bill Drill at about 8 yards, I could hit a draw of around 0.75s and splits of 0.15s...while putting a group into the A-zone of about the size of a coffee mug (but not an espresso cup ;) ).

IMO, if you can get those types of numbers (I was at the GM level), then other aspects of your game probably deserve your attention.

So, compare your performance, on various skills, with others that are near your level.