Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

This Weekends Match

JorDanO

Well here's my first video. It's my second match shooting Open and I'm having issues with getting used to the 2011 platform. There were several times where I was pulling the trigger and the gun wouldn't go off until I adjusted my grip a little lower.

I shot pretty good points. The scores aren't up yet though so I'm not 100% sure though.

What do you see in those runs that can be done better. I can look at video's all day and see people doing things wrong. That is good for me, because I can see it. But you need to see it if you want to get better. Be a student of your own shooting and learn what to look for. Give us a break down of what you think you need to do better and we will fill in the rest.

I haven't looked at your video but I can recommend two things right off the bat. #1, disengage that grip safety. #2 dryfire until your eyes bleed. If you can't find the dot in any and all positions it doesn't do much good for you.

1st Stage- Right before the buzzer went off I realized that I didn't turn my dot on, which delayed my reaction to the buzzer. It might have been better to reload after the first port instead of before. I've noticed I tend to drop the gun down more often when I'm moving laterally.

2nd Stage- I need to work on bending my knees more when I'm shooting on the move.

3rd Stage- I didn't have my plan finalized and programmed in before I shot and ended up engaging a target twice, which caused me do a standing reload on the last target.

4th Stage- I should have started on the plate rack at each position and shot the paper while backing out. also shooting an open gun under a table is no fun :blink:

5th Stage- I only had 1 extra round for this stage so I took my time on the steel. Shouldn't have stood so close to the walls that I had to suck the gun back in to transition between the arrays.

6th stage- I'm not used to pushing the mag release with my index finger and I guess I didn't push it in enough causing the mag not to drop.

I'm not having any trouble finding the dot. I have a Gold Team on the way so the triggers in all my guns will be the same, I shoot a SP01 in production and a Tanfoglio in limited, and I won't have anymore problems with the grip safety or my grip pushing up the thumb safety.

Here are a couple of things I notice about your shooting…..

The gun seems to have an odd wobble bounce on every shot. Are you limp wristing the gun? The open guns I have shot, basically shoot themselves with very little recoil or muzzle flip. On an open gun the comp and load recipe should be managing most of the muzzle flip and recoil.

You seem to move your head to the dot instead of moving the dot to your eye.

You hunch over and dig into the shooting positions, then when you perform a reload or need to move you stand straight again. This up and down movement kills time.

On long shooting strings your start to ratchet further and further back with every shot. This could be that your stance isn’t optimal or you have too much tension in your arms.