Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Slide not returning fully to battery

ledavatar

I have an SVI IMM Open gun in .38 super comp (and an additional 9mm major barrel/comp). I had a host of problems with reliability on the gun, which included FTEs, stovepipes, etc. but the last problem I had was strange and I couldn't figure it out - I replaced the standard SV extractor with an Aftec. I followed the instructions and it seems to fit fine, except I had to hammer in the firing pin stop for some reason. Anyway, the extractor works fine and I ran maybe 60 rounds in both 38sc and 9major through it with no jams. However, the slide doesn't seem to return fully back maybe 70% of the time now (stops with 1/8" left) when firing and I have to nudge it a bit to let it go back. The gun does seem to be in "battery" as in the barrel is fully engaged to the back of the slide and will fire even if I don't nudge it. I'm just uncomfortable firing the gun in that condition.

I thought it might be the firing pin stop dragging on the frame or ejector but i took out the ejector and the drag is still there. I just can't figure out where it's dragging. I tried replacing the 8# spring with a heavier one just to check (11#), and the problem is still there.

Any ideas?

I sent the gun back a couple of times for other issues but every time a new problem seems to pop up. So I'm trying my best to diagnose some problems myself.

An Aftec extractor is supposed to pivot a little on the firing-pin stop. If you have to hammer it in then it either means that the slide stop has not be radiused or the springs in the Aftec got dislodged while it was being installed so it's not working right.

Also make sure that the extractor is not hitting the barrel. If you do a search on Aftec on this forum you should find some more information about how it should be setup.

Edited by BritinUSA

An Aftec extractor is supposed to pivot a little on the firing-pin stop. If you have to hammer it in then it either means that the slide stop has not be radiused or the springs in the Aftec got dislodged while it was being installed so it's not working right.

Also make sure that the extractor is not hitting the barrel. If you do a search on Aftec on this forum you should find some more information about how it should be setup.

Thanks for the reply.

What do you mean pivot a little on the firing pin stop? And do you mean "firing pin stop" instead of "slide stop" when talking about the radius?

What I don't understand is, even if that were the issue, why would the slide be binding up in the last 1/8" when returning to battery?

It might be that the new extractor forces the firing pin stop to the left and makes it contact the ejector.

So check that the ejector is not rubbing on the firing pin stop as this would make the slide NOT go in to battery.

As for the fitting of the aftec extractor to the firing pin stop I'm not sure as I have never used one.

//Fredrik

Thanks for the reply.

What do you mean pivot a little on the firing pin stop? And do you mean "firing pin stop" instead of "slide stop" when talking about the radius?

What I don't understand is, even if that were the issue, why would the slide be binding up in the last 1/8" when returning to battery?

Edited by Freddie the Swede