Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Oal

LoneWolf

I've has 5 Sig 226's and none of them hit the rifling at max magazine length with any bullet. Sigs are long throated and the throat is large in diameter.

If I were you, I'd load to somewhere close to max magazine length, and work up from there. But it doesn't really matter so long as you work-up the load from minimum to maximum.

By golly I think I've got it !! I canned the sharpie method - the marks I saw were from my placing the cartridge in the chamber. The method I used isn't the most scientific but it seemed to work. I measured two cases and made sure they were identical in length. I placed one case in the barrel and measured from the back of the case to the flat edge on the side of the barrel (to use as a constant) and it was .132 . I then did the same on the second - to make sure they were the same. I then made a dummy round at the max OAL according to the manuals which is 1.160 . I then checked the original (.132) measurement and it was the same. If the bullet had been hitting the barrel/riflings the measurement should have been longer - being pushed rearward. I then took my borelight and looked down the barrel with the dummy cartridge inside( I used a magnifier/lamp) and it was not making any contact. So there was no contact at 1.160. I then backed off the seating die until I got an OAL of 1.158 - just to keep it under the maximum recomendation. Well what do you guys think ?

I made up 25 rounds and went to the range last night. The rounds fed perfectly in the magazine and barrel. The shots were light but crisp. The slide cycled and locked open on the last round. So far everything is great ! Here is what I finally ended up with :

9MM 124 gr Rainier CP RN

4.0 gr Tightgroup

Federal SP

9MM Starline Brass

OAL 1.158"

.376" Crimp

I just wanted to say thanks again for everyones help- Thank You !! :D