Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Midwayusa Grade 1 223 Once Fired Brass

ERIC

OK, heres the skinny.

The Midway stuff is Remington brass. I haven't heard anything bad about Rem .223 brass but I have always preferred new WW or once fired Lake City military brass. I have bought new WW from Midway, but I buy 1x LC from Scharch Mfg in CO.

Scharch Mfg .223 Brass Link

The Scharch 75% processed brass is the same as the Midway stuff. This is not ready to load brass because it has not been sized, and trimmed. It is just cleaned, decapped and primer pocket swaged to remove the military/commercial primer crimp. The price for 75% processed from Scharch is almost exactly the same as the Midway stuff and you get LC brass instead of Remington. I would go with the LC brass if you are insistent on doing the rest of the work yourself.

But, heres what I do. If you look a little further on the same Scharch web page you will see 100% processed brass that is ready to load and will make sub moa ammo as is (if you do the rest of the job right) for just $10 more. To me this is a no-brainer.

Regards,

Maybe Midway gets their brass from different places at different times?

My experience has been 80-90% of the brass has been LC brass of different years.

The rest made up of Win, Rem, Fed, etc.

Expect about 5-10% to be too dented or mangled to use.

Iv'e only ordered about 4,000 rounds from them, in two separate orders, so YMMV.

Travis F.

At the time I inspected the Midway web catalog they were calling it Remington brass in their description for the Grade 1 223 Once Fired Brass. As to what they actually provide, I can't say. My experiences with 1x commercial .223 brass have been with 100% processed brass from Dillon and Scharch Mfg.

Dillons 1x 100% processed was mostly (90%) LC of two to three headstamps with the rest Fed & Rem. The Scharch which I have used about 7-8k of has been 99% LC (the 1% is mostly Fed) and it's mostly one LC headstamp within each batch of 2k I have used. 99% of the Scharch 100% processed passes my L.E. Wilson ammo gauge, and about 75% passes the JP ammo gauge. The Dillon 100% processed stuff was running about 95% on the Wilson gauge and just over 50% on the JP gauge.

I flat out discard anything that isn't the LC headstamp or doesn't pass the Wilson gauge before I even load commercial 100% processed brass. The ones that don't pass the JP gauge out of the box get full a length re-sizing pass and if they still don't pass the JP gauge they are discarded right then and there. I am ruthless when it comes to selecting brass that is worth expending more time and money on.

http://www.midwayusa.com/rewriteaproduct/520280

Regards,