Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI sight question

Black Gun

I have a new STI Eagle 5" bushing barrel in .40 . I want to put a Dawson FO front sight on but I am not sure on the height? The stock sight is .170 and I had to adjust the rear sight up a little about 4 clicks to hit my point of aim. The Dawson FO comes in .180 and .160 tall and I was not sure if .160 would be to short?

I think I may have just answer my own question :surprise: I think I will file down the stock sight to .160 and see if I have enough rear sight adjustment :cheers:

Oh well, I take so long typing with two fingers that I am going to post this anyway :roflol:

According to Dawson's site it looks like you need the .180 height. But if I had any reservation's I would give Dawson's a call and I'm sure he could help you out.

According to Dawson's site it looks like you need the .180 height. But if I had any reservation's I would give Dawson's a call and I'm sure he could help you out.

Thanks, I did call Dawson and was told that the .160 will work and that I will still have some room to adjust. :cheers:

I put the Dawson .180 tall front FO sights in my 5" and 6" Eagles and my Edge, and have been very pleased with them. I'm using the Dawson FO adjustable rear sights in the guns, too, but they are the same dimensions as the factory sights.

I've purchased 4 new STI's in the past 2 years and for some reason they all shot low. This was confirmed by several shooters at the range so it's not just me. While it wasn't an issue with the adjustable sights, one of my IDPA Eagle's came with fixed Heine sights so I had to change over to the .160 front sight. This made everything right with the world. IMHO I would think that you would benefit more from the .160 in case you ever wanted to switch to fixed (for whatever reason) and just simply not have to have your rear sight so far off the slide. Go .160

I've purchased 4 new STI's in the past 2 years and for some reason they all shot low. This was confirmed by several shooters at the range so it's not just me. While it wasn't an issue with the adjustable sights, one of my IDPA Eagle's came with fixed Heine sights so I had to change over to the .160 front sight. This made everything right with the world. IMHO I would think that you would benefit more from the .160 in case you ever wanted to switch to fixed (for whatever reason) and just simply not have to have your rear sight so far off the slide. Go .160

Thanks for the imput! I ordered the .160 and it should be here this week! I will post my findings <_<