Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

650 indexing?

It seems that my entire shell holder assembly is slightly out of adjustment. With a shell fully seated in the shell plate, it's off by maybe 1/16-1/8 of an inch. Means it hits on the sizing die, and the power funnel catches on the edge of the case on each stroke. Anyone slighly bumped the entire assembly one way or the other? There seems to be 2 large hex screws under the shell plate, that I think if I loosen and turn the entire assembly every so slightly clockwise, will remedy the issue... All station are off just a small amount, but each is off the same amount.

Curious if anyone else has seen this?

Btw, brand new 650 that I'm just setting up. Oh, and yes, I always don't lock the lock ring on any die until it has a case seated in it. And it doesn't matter if there is only one case making the rounds or the entire shell plate it full, it just seems to be off about 1/16" of an inch and needs to be turned clockwise by that amount..

Thots?

Alan

. . .

Curious if anyone else has seen this?

. . .

I had similar issues, finally broke the ring indexer. When it broke a second time, I called Dillon and they sent me two replacement parts and an alignment tool.

The alignment tool goes in the powder funnel and you remove the primer seater assembly.

Loosen the screws securing the platform to the ram.

Raise the ram to align the tool with primer plunger hole.

Tighten the screws.

Call Dillon and explain the problem. They ALWAYS provided excellent service.

FYI, all that end up here... I talked to Dillon this morning, while the primer mechanism does neet some form of timing tool... The entire set of things that set on top of the ram, can be moved ever so slightly by just removing the shell plate and loosening the 2 allen screws that hold the assembly to the ram and twisting it. By doing this, it does not effect the timing on the primer station. That's what I did and all is well again Took a couple of times, the first time I didn't get it far enough.

Alan

• 1 month later...