Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Saiga Sights

PHolsted

So I have just about all of my mods to my saiga but the sights. I was looking for something better than the factory sights and the short sight radius. I found some by Krebs that bolt on a new front sight post and uses a ghost ring in the factory rear location. One thing comes to mind on this is that most ghost rings sights are best when used just a few inched from the eye.

Any one have any experience with these?

I was thinking along the lines of maybe a top cover mounted ghost ring ala Valmet... Maybe utilizing an HK turret-style from a G3 since they're common and relatively inexpensive.

Anyone else anything like this?

Thanks

Patrick

I tried to get the Krebs sights to work, but they are too low for me...oddly enough, the rear dovetail fits factory 1911 sights. You have to fabricate the front sight, though ;)

Here is Fred at the 2009 LaRue Tactical with his FredSight Saiga:

Fred_doorbreach_sm.JPG

Alex

• 4 weeks later...
So I have just about all of my mods to my saiga but the sights. I was looking for something better than the factory sights and the short sight radius. I found some by Krebs that bolt on a new front sight post and uses a ghost ring in the factory rear location. One thing comes to mind on this is that most ghost rings sights are best when used just a few inched from the eye.

Any one have any experience with these?

I was thinking along the lines of maybe a top cover mounted ghost ring ala Valmet... Maybe utilizing an HK turret-style from a G3 since they're common and relatively inexpensive.

Anyone else anything like this?

Thanks

Patrick

Sights for Saiga, what a great topic!

Not sure from your question if you exclusively want iron sights. You are right the factory Saiga sight sucks.

If iron, the best setup is the HK. This does require some gunsmithing to do right as the front weld can be tricky.

Here is pic of HK on a Krinkov barrel

post-16536-1244600547_thumb.jpg

In open class most shooters will prefer a red dot and there are a variety of mounts and rails for everything from Doctor to C more.

But the really trick solution is a top rail with an HK sight, a convertable so to speak. You can easily put the dot sight on the gun or take it off. Talk about a race gun that really is practical! Put your dot on for competition and take it off for self defense.

With the rail and HK sight you want both sights in same place ( the term of art is co witness). That takes some planning.

ETAC does a super trick installation with a cut down HK to co witness with the doctor sight (Doctor sight is removed in pic).

Here is how they do it

post-16536-1244600917_thumb.jpg

Here’s pic of Doctor Mounted on top rail with tactical side rails (a different gun but shows the Doctor to rail relationship)

post-16536-1244600749_thumb.jpg

So I think the basic options are:

1) Iron, go with HK

2) Red dot only go with a mount or rail

3) Convertible, match up red dot on rail to co witness with the HK

Personally I am not a fan of Doctor sight in pistol but only because I am so used to C more and like the field of view, but for pure speed in Shotgun, the Doctor or something similar close to bore is very fast.

MrMajor

Edited by MRMAJOR

Your top cover mounted ghost ring sounds like it would work well....I just went with a Burris Fastfire...very easy installation. The only time I really even pay attention to the "Dot" is when shooting slugs.

Your top cover mounted ghost ring sounds like it would work well....I just went with a Burris Fastfire...very easy installation. The only time I really even pay attention to the "Dot" is when shooting slugs.

Do you have the new version? How well is it woking for you? Is it bright enough for slug shots facing sun?

Inquiring minds just want to know

I have four of the older versions.... Two are mounted on Ultimak (sp?) rails on S-12's...they are as bright if not brighter than my Aimpoints set at max when out in the Arizona Sun.

Only real gripe is when shooting at night under flood lights the Dot does automatically dim a little too much for Pistol use (one is mounted on a G-34). For a Bullseye shooter it would be fine but the small window with a dim dot does not make for a real fast Steel Stage. But Bright Sunny days the Dot is really is easy to pick up. I normally use Win AA Super-Handicap Heavy Target 7 1/2 and Rem Law Enforcement Reduce Recoil Slug's in my Saiga...the Fastfires have had no malfunctions due to recoil.