Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Automatic primer filler.

Hello: I was wondering if anyone has installed a automatic primer filler on the Dillon reloaders? I thought if you have the bullet feeder the next step would be auto primer tube filler. That way you would just keep pulling the handle untill you get tired. Let me know your thoughts or if you actually have done this. Thanks, Eric

This sounds too much like a big BOOM waiting to happen. The guys who have blown a tube of primers will tell you it is LOUD. Imagine 500-1k of primers going off at once due to a crushed one.

I don't think there is a lot of demand for it. Unlike bullet feeders and case feeders, you only have to fill the primer tube every 100 rounds. If you have the Dillon tube loader thingy, it's working while you are loading. When your low primer warning buzzer sounds, all you have to do is grab the next tube, drop it in, put it back in the Dillon and dump in fresh tray. That really doesn't take a lot of work or time.

However, a bullet feeder or case feeder eliminates a significant amount of manual labor during each pull. They allow you to keep a closer watch on the press and pay attention to possible faults, rather than worring about placing bullets or brass in the press.

These days I don't have any primers anyway.