Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Relaxing day with some gun stuff

John Dunn

First thing this am put a pot roast in the Crock Pot with some veggies and a tangy sauce from some internet recipe site, it's made the house smell good all day.

Spread a bunch of gravel with the tractor on the road down to the barn, looks less like a hog wallow now.

Rototilled up a garden spot for the kids to plant their own garden, took them shopping for seeds at the co-op. The tilling took less than 5 minutes as the tiller attachment was still on the tractor from last fall, had a good time remembering the hours spent behind a POS front-tine tiller as a kid, god bless John Deere! The girls spent most of the afternoon reading seed packages, laying out the garden, playing in the dirt and planting the seeds. They had a ball.

Set-up a new AR for my brother, we're going to a carbine course together in June. Started with the Colt 6940 monolithic railed AR, put a MagPul ASAP plate on it for a single point sling. Played around with the MagPul MS2 sling, it's kind of cool, but I like the V-tac sling better. Cut down the ladder rail covers and installed them. Installed a JP Cooley brake on it. I'll have to drill the right-sided hole on the brake tomorrow, I wanted to shoot it without the hole so I could compare before and after. Before, it shoots very flat, but the dot tracks right quite a bit, I'll drill it out to see what a little gas-thrust static lateral vectoring can do. I tried to fit gamma counterforce reciprocity into that last sentence, but it sounded gratuitous. ;)

The stock Colt trigger was atrocious! Measured from 7.2 to 8.5 lbs, inconsistent, gritty, creepy, crappy. I wasn't planning to do anything to the trigger because my brother isn't someone who would necessarily appreciate a good trigger, but the gun is otherwise so nice I took the stock trigger out and replaced it with a Geiselle(spelling?) DMR two-stage trigger. This trigger rocks, I think I've found my two-stage trigger of choice, will stick with JP for single stage triggers. Moderate first stage, light and crisp second stage.

Sighted the rifle in, both irons and Aimpoint, they co-witness perfectly which is pretty cool, even though expected. Rifle ran fine, failed to lockback a couple of times initially with XM193 ammo, but that only happened at the beginning and then stopped, hopefully it's broken in.

Painstakingly broke in the rifle by cleaning after every round...NOT! I just shot the sucker! Break-in would have harshed my mellow in a big way, so I chose not to do it :P

Called my brother up and told him he was going to have a nice AR for the course, but it is now too nice for him to keep, so I'll likely give him one of my beater ARs after the course to have handy for the zombie apocalypse. He's doing the course he because dragged me to Canada to get eaten by mosquitos(fishing trip) a couple years ago, so we get to do something shooting related this time.

Came in, cut up and shredded the pot roast so it looked like pulled pork, served it over wife-baked bisquits, and it was pretty darn good, tender as heck, too. Epic win!

Overall, exactly what a Saturday should be! Thought I'd share. :D