Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Building a Saiga for 3 gun

apriav

philg80, do you have a simple way to ramp?

There is no "simple" way, but patience is the key. The barrel does NOT have to be removed to get a correct feed ramp on a Saiga. Would it be better, probably, but the average person does not have the ability to remove the barrel and do the work. I personally used a die grinder with 3" long sanding spindles, some coarse and some fine, and just had the patience to go slow. The best reason to do it this way is so that you can "blend" the trunnion and barrel ramp together. Remove all the internals from your gun and go up through the magwell while your gun is in a vice and you can reach the bottom and both sides of your saiga chamber. The top of the barrel has a hood so there is nothing to ramp there. The reason to ramp the chamber is because as the shotgun shell enters the chamber it has the ability to kick upward and jam the gun when it comes in contact with the face of a non ramped chamber. Go slow and anyone with steady hands can really go along way in helping the reliability of their Saiga 12.

From philg80's post it sounds like he has gunsmithing skills beyond most of us.

I did ask Esteban at www.gogun.us

about this.

And Ill paraphrase his answer.

He said you definitely do NOT want to relieve (blend) the trunion for two reasons, First it is not necessary to ensure propper feeding. But second and much more importantly, it will weaken the Gun. The trunion is where all the stress between barrel and receiver gets delivered and you do not want to weaken it.

He says you definetly want to remove the barrel from the receiver before ramping. Now the tricky part for home gunsmith is when reattaching the barrel to trunion and receiver it requires a lot of force and alignment must be absolutely perfect. For this he uses a 20 ton hydraulic press, but I dont think he uses the full capactiy of the press. If the home gunsmither has access to a hydraulic press it will make the job MUCH easier.

I admire philg80 for his courage and ability. My self I have ruined more than my share of parts by overaggressive dremeling so I am hesitant to try this myself.

Thanks to philg80 for his excellent suggestions.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a another great item we have just received.

Allows you to grab your charging handle in a hurry.

These slide over the existing handle and locks down with a set screw.

It will work on all Saiga Rifles and Shotguns and all the AK's I have tried.

http://store.carolinashooterssupply.com/se...il?sfs=759656aa

That is a realy neat looking part and dirt cheap for what you get! A very nice inexpensive solution.

The stock charging handle on Saiga sucks.

As Saiga shooters have learned the hard way charging (racking bolt) can slow you down.

There are two other solutions that are more costly.

You can have a vertical extension welded on which allows your left hand to sweep accross the top of dust cover instead of reaching up over and arround.

The slickest and fastest solution of all but most expensive is a left sided charging handle, no fumbling at all just hold the pistol grip and rack like you would a race gun with a slide racker. Requires cutting the dust cover and welding a left sided handle to bolt.

I believe Esteban and Travis Haley came up with this

post-16536-1244853192_thumb.jpg

An no this is not a mirror reversed pic, it really is Left side of Gun as you can see by factory stampings

Edited by MRMAJOR

• 2 weeks later...
Shoot me head to head and I will spank you with my "Clear" magazines. Yeah, that is a challenge!!

Regards,

Jack Travers

JT Engineering

How'd your clear magazines do at Ironman? At least one shooter I spoke with had problems with his at the match.

As for your heads up challenge, I got 16th overall, you were 29th. Unless its because your mags malfunctioned, I'll readily admit it doesn't prove anything. If equipment functions all it proves is someone shot better at that time and place than someone else.

Edited by SinistralRifleman

Shoot me head to head and I will spank you with my "Clear" magazines. Yeah, that is a challenge!!

Regards,

Jack Travers

JT Engineering

Maybe you better start using them thar clear mags when we shoot together then... Last two times, with you shooting open and me in tac, you edged me out by 1% both times.. :roflol:

See you next time in Leesville. :cheers:

• 1 month later...