Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Barrels(Schuemann)for modified/open

cybrosh

Hello people,

As a modified shooter, I've been using 2 types of barrels in my division. Both using a sleeve, hybrid compensators, while one also has an external compensator :

DSCF7438.JPG

DSCF7441.JPG

These are not Schuemann, but Lothar Walther barrels.

I've been toying with the idea of getting a couple of new guns, and was wondering what would be the most effective barrel for modified division? using a barrel with both hybrid compensator+External compensator(The Schuemann hybricomp)or a altered Tribrid which means, hybrid compensator+integral chambers?

Remember, modified guns are usually commander sized, since they must fit the box, and also have to retain factor.

I shoot 9mm, usually 124 gr. and even at 115, I pass 125(around 127 for 115gr and 135 for 124gr).

Examples for the schuemann barrel :

Tribird_2_RT_nonThreaded.jpgGOxxxTMM_even.png

What do you think?

Cheers,

I'd go with the hybricomp as you can pick and choose your comp then.

And I also know that the modified division is under discussion for cancelling or not. (Not many shooters).

So I would think twice before building a new gun.

Also to consider would be the Modified box size when you decide which barrel to choose.

Will it fit inside the box or not? Or must you cut the barrel down and will that work with any of the two barrels that you are showing??

Best wished

//Fredrik

Edited by Freddie the Swede

Hey Fredrik,

I asked Vince about a year ago about the cancellation of the modified division and he almost burned me alive! :) It seems like every year, there are rumors about the cancellation of that particular division, and he assured me it's not the case. I haven't visited in the global village for awhile, and I do hope it's not the case.

I spoke with Mike C. from Schuemann and he recommended the hybridcomp, since it would offer better recoil control and just as you've said, you can use whatever external comp' you want.

I wanted the tribrid, so I could avoid the external comp', and have a one piece barrel(instead of 2 or 3 parts), but the external comp' works better. SV's IMM modified gun is a perfect example for a tribrid, with a full dustcover frame(offers more weight in the front) -

doctor_350_280.jpg

The two barrels I have are perfect and work flawlessly.

Edited by cybrosh

the future of modified will probably be on the agenda for the 2011 GA at the next WS.

Whether it will survive nobody knows yet.

cybrosh, why 9mm (since you'll score minor)? Due to some firearms laws in Israel?

Don't get me started on firearms laws in Israel :) The situation is quite grim.

It's not the case - but the staggering ammunition costs around here. For the same reason, I save the 124gr mainly for matches and train with 115. I'm qualified as a sports shooter and get discounts for ammo, and still...so expensive! We're not allowed to reload, so we have to tolerate the high prices.

0.40 is pricey, 0.38 super is SUPER expensive :) and very hard to get(same for 0.45).

Another issue, is the lack of variety. People shoot what they can get their hands on, and currently we have about 4 brands available.

Edited by cybrosh

Something like this? I might have the complete 9mm upper for sale soon..........

I love the setup, but found a full length open gun works better for me. I am using the

frame for a second full length build. The gun was built by Errol Lawson (Keal).

post-12164-1240615250_thumb.jpg

post-12164-1240615263_thumb.jpg

Edited by matt2ace