Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

A little hitch before going into battery

al503

Do you have a shock buff in that pistol? If so take it out and see what happens.-----------Larry

No shock buff, Larry.

With the slide off and the recoil system removed but the barrel and bushing remaining, turn the slide upside down. Grab the lower lug/ramp with your fingers and move the barrel up and down. You are moving the barrel lugs in and out of the slide lugs. Check for drag.

Tried this. Nice and smooth. No drag at all.

I have had the same problem and it was the lower lugs and link fitment. Benny Hill showed me how to check the lockup and what happens when it is not correct. There are alot of different things that can cause problems but when you know what to look for it is easy to solve.

I think this is the issue. I noticed a shiny part on top of the bbl right underneath the forward part of the ejection port and a corresponding mark underneath the slide at the same point. I'm wondering if I might be able to change the bbl link out to a 'smaller' (one that won't push the top of the bbl against the bottom of the slide to hard.) I might just have a local smith take a look.

My main concern is still to not do any damage to the gun by shooting it in it's current condition.

I just figured it out. It wasn't the link. With the link fully extended, the top of the hole was actually above the slot that holds the link pin. At lock up, the slide stop would push up on the bottom of the link rails, pushing the bbl up against the top of the slide.

I rolled up some 600 grit sandpaper and took may a thousandths or two off and it now goes into battery much easier. There is stil a slight hitch (wanted to err on not taking enough material off v. taking too much off) but nothing to write home about.

I'll put another K through the pipe and see if that smooths it all out. If not, I'll take another thousandth off.

Thanks to everyone with your input. :cheers:

Edited by al503

I just figured it out. It wasn't the link. With the link fully extended, the top of the hole was actually above the slot that holds the link pin. At lock up, the slide stop would push up on the bottom of the link rails, pushing the bbl up against the top of the slide.

I rolled up some 600 grit sandpaper and took may a thousandths or two off and it now goes into battery much easier. There is stil a slight hitch (wanted to err on not taking enough material off v. taking too much off) but nothing to write home about.

I'll put another K through the pipe and see if that smooths it all out. If not, I'll take another thousandth off.

Thanks to everyone with your input. :cheers:

Gee, ummmm, that doesn't sound like the problem. Hey, I'll go $450 now, but I'd really be doing you a favor at that price :roflol:

...At lock up, the slide stop would push up on the bottom of the link rails, pushing the bbl up against the top of the slide....

Those are the barrel feet (AKA lower lugs) I mentioned in my previous post. Shoot it a bit to let them wear in a bit and see where you are at. If still a hitch, you've already figured out how to smooth. :cheers:

...At lock up, the slide stop would push up on the bottom of the link rails, pushing the bbl up against the top of the slide....

Those are the barrel feet (AKA lower lugs) I mentioned in my previous post. Shoot it a bit to let them wear in a bit and see where you are at. If still a hitch, you've already figured out how to smooth. :cheers:

c'mon, man! Liberal arts major here. :unsure: At least I know what it's called now.

Thanks for the advice. :cheers:

Gee, ummmm, that doesn't sound like the problem. Hey, I'll go $450 now, but I'd really be doing you a favor at that price :roflol:

It's all good, mang. Honestly, I wouldn't expect something like this from a $1K Trojan let alone a full custom but that's just me (and at least a couple other forum members, it seems.)

I am glad that I figured it out and learned more about this platform with the help of our fellow members.