Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1st revolver, need helping cleaning

Spray_N_Prey

I dont shoot my revo that often, so I clean it pretty good every time I shoot it. I remove the side plate and just dab what I can see with a paper towel then spray it all lightly with an aerosol oil of some kind. The outside I take my time with. I spray the cylinder down with ballistol and let it sit while I do the rest. I will spray all of the loose parts with balistol as well. Wipe down the outside and scrub inside the frame where the cylinder goes and get all of the leading and carbon out of there. I then run a bore snake down the barrel a couple of times and if I have shot lead, I will use a lewis lead remover to clean the forcing cone. I then go to the cylinder. I will hook up a brass brush in a drill and really clean the snot out of the cylinders. I will then scrub down the outside so that it is clean all over. I then use a birchwood casey lead removal cloth on the front end. It takes some scrubbing, but it gets clean eventually. Put it all back together with a light coating of oil and back into the safe for another year.

I don't want to sound critical, but it sounds to me like you are cleaning your gun to death. Seriously, you are putting a great deal of additional wear on your gun with all that scraping and scrubbing. Good God.