Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Forster Bullet Collet Puller

jwrig

i've got a hornady collet puller. The designs should be similar. allow the collet to grip the bullet and pull it apart on the downstroke of the press.

for set up, i close the collet to its smallest ID. from there i back off till a bullet will actually fit. i'll try to pull a bullet and adjust collet pressure from there.

also, try picking up collets that are slightly larger than the actual bullet diameter you are trying to pull. usually a one size larger collet will be able to grip a bullet that is slightly smaller with enough pressure. once you release the collet pressure, the bullet should fall out since the collet should "spring" back to its original size. if you do it right, the bullet you pull shold have no/minimal collet marks.

i've got a hornady collet puller. The designs should be similar. allow the collet to grip the bullet and pull it apart on the downstroke of the press.

for set up, i close the collet to its smallest ID. from there i back off till a bullet will actually fit. i'll try to pull a bullet and adjust collet pressure from there.

also, try picking up collets that are slightly larger than the actual bullet diameter you are trying to pull. usually a one size larger collet will be able to grip a bullet that is slightly smaller with enough pressure. once you release the collet pressure, the bullet should fall out since the collet should "spring" back to its original size. if you do it right, the bullet you pull shold have no/minimal collet marks.

You figured out, from my poor description, what the problem is. Stuck is a bad choice of words. It won't drop free after I loosen the cam lock. The projectile is a .45 JHP.

The collet is marked 452, but is tapered on the inside to a diameter that is less than .452..