Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

OAL for M&P 9mm

tk4

I just sold my SDB to a friend who is getting in to shooting and reloading. He is using a M&P 9 w/ 115gr Precision moly flat points. He started at 1.125OAL, this is what I loaded in my STI. He said he was having jams with the chamber not closing completely. I think the oal may be a bit long. I had him shorten the length to 1.1. What OAL do you guys suggest for this bullet in the M&P?

Thanks.

I just sold my SDB to a friend who is getting in to shooting and reloading. He is using a M&P 9 w/ 115gr Precision moly flat points. He started at 1.125OAL, this is what I loaded in my STI. He said he was having jams with the chamber not closing completely. I think the oal may be a bit long. I had him shorten the length to 1.1. What OAL do you guys suggest for this bullet in the M&P?

Thanks.

I would'nt think that was too long. He may be having other issues, sizing or crimp maybe?

Thanks.

I posted a question about this same bullet (115gr Precision moly flat point) in another thread - I've been looking for load data for 115gr FP cast bullets with no luck. I was able to find 114gr cast LRN data but that leaves me guessing about OAL. I reload .45 ACP and .45 Colt but I'm wary of messing with OAL in a 9mm round.

Which powder/charge do you use with this bullet?

-Mike

Thanks.

I posted a question about this same bullet (115gr Precision moly flat point) in another thread - I've been looking for load data for 115gr FP cast bullets with no luck. I was able to find 114gr cast LRN data but that leaves me guessing about OAL. I reload .45 ACP and .45 Colt but I'm wary of messing with OAL in a 9mm round.

Which powder/charge do you use with this bullet?

-Mike

In my 5" STI my records show,

4.2gr of Tightgroup w/ OAL of 1.125 is about 130pf

4.7gr of Solo 1000 w/ OAL of 1.138 is about 130pf

My friend, shooting his M&P 9, was at 4.1gr of Tightgroup w/ OAL of 1.125 and said it felt considerably lighter than the factory ammo he was shooting.

Thanks.

I would'nt think that was too long. He may be having other issues, sizing or crimp maybe?

I checked his sizing and crimp and I don't believe they are an issue.