Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mounting Scopes On Ar's

Og

Hey Guys,

When you are mounting a traditional scope on an Ar-15 I see a lot of guys clamping both rings behind the center of the scope when they are mounting the smaller scopes for instance the Leupold VX2 1X4. I am calling the center of the scope where the adjustment knobs are located. I have to mount mine like this because I hold nose to charging handle and this gives me enough eye releif to shoot from just about any postion.

I want to mount a Leupold VX3 2.5X8 on a JP upper that I have and I was thinking about using the A.R.M.S. quick release mount but my question is Can I mount this longer scope with both rings behind the center of the scope and not damage it or do I just need to get one of the extended bases and mount the scope properly?

It really depends on how you position your head relative to the upper receiver and the eye relief of the scope.

If you shoot nose-to-charging-handle, there will be about 1.5" between your eye's lens and the rear end of the flat-top. So if you had a scope with 1.5" of eye relief, it would be set up correctly if its rear lens was even with the rear of the flat-top. The TA01 and TA31 ACOGs happen to have this eye relief.

If you have a scope with 2.5" of eye relief, the rear lens of the scope will have to be 1" in front of the rear end of the flat-top. That's how my TA11 with about 2.4" of eye relief is set up.

When I had a Leupold with about 3.4 - 4.6" of eye relief (VXIII 1.5-5X), I had to mount it about 2 - 2.5" forward of the rear of the flat-top for proper eye relief. I used an ARMS #36S-EX (Super-Extended) with Leupold "medium" height rings for this config. You might be able to get by with putting two super-high rings (like the Leu MK4) behind the scope turrets.

If you shoot with your head further back on the stock, you can move everything further back too.

-z