Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Just a "thank you" note...

D. Manley

I've been loading and shooting the lighter bullet weights and never bothered to turn left or right...until, now. I've always known heavier bullets / fast powders equaled less perceived recoil but since a 9MM is well, a 9MM, never bothered with the concept there although do go that way with .40 and .45. After reading about some of you guys success with Solo under lead 147's I decided to give it a go under some 147 FMC. Today was range day.

Bottom line, I still can't believe how good this stuff shoots...in every respect. What I found was that 3.4 grains of S-1000 is not only a real hoot to light off, they're incredibly accurate in my G-34 and every bit the equal to my other, best loads. Unlike the lighter bullets which seem to require a lot more "zip" to group really well at 25 yards, that big, ole' long bullet just loafing along will do the job. A couple of other test loads with the 147's also did very well but the S-1000 is the SCHNIZZEL! Thanks guys.

Notice any smoke difference in S1000 vs other loads?

Truthfully, hard to tell anything today...the indoor range was a zoo. CCW class in one of the bays, eveyone else (including one guy rapid-firing his AR next to me) in the other so, range was smoky even with vents on. I've shot Solo a long time in .45 and not noticed excessive smoke so I doubt a 9MM charge would be a problem. I can't say about lead, these were Remington's 147 FMC "Match" bullets.

I shot rested, 10-shot groups of 5-different powders today:

3.3 grains TG

3.5 grains N-320

3.8 grains N-330

3.9 grains N-340

3.3 grains American Select

3.4 grains S-1000

S-1000, N-330 and N-340 were superb. Biggest disappointments were the TG & N-320 as far a groups went and I double-shot them just to be sure. Those 2 were'nt that bad, just not nearly as good as the best 3. Worst by far was the American Select. I didn't bother to "ladder" any of the powders, I just shot one load of each. Any would probably do well with a little tweaking but hey, I'm happy having 3 good choices with this bullet and besides, I have a love/hate relationship with load development anyway.