Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SP2 for 9x21

Jody Waring

Hello.

I was wondering if anyone could tell me a little bit about SP2 powder. I see some posts where it's been mentioned that the powder feels great for high pressure rounds, I believe one was a post from Jeff Mass. I am shooting a Tanfoglio small frame in 9x21mm and would like to give this powder a try. Anyone out there with this type a gun tried it? I see some data for the .38 super, but I am loading to the short length:1.155" so I don't think I could even begin to use this data to start with. I soppose I could if I new a safe percentage to drop as a starting charge. Anyone have any ideas? I will be using 115gr fmj and possibly 124's as well.

I've been shooting Vectan SP2 in my 9x21 Caspian guns since it became available in the USA (several years). I love it! There are a few loads for SP2 in 9x21 for 115 and 124/125 grain bullets in the "9x21 IPSC Loads List" (http://home.columbus.rr/jmaass/index.html).

I've not loaded it for the "9x21 shorter" variant, and none of the listed loads are for the short OAL. If using these reported loads as reference, back off the starting spot by 15% or 20% to allow for the decreased OAL.

You can also start with the published reloading data for 9mmP on the Vectan site (there's a link on the "IPSC Loads List" web page), and work up to where you want to be.

SP2 is a little dirtier than the various ViihtaVuori powders, but it's a fine-grain black grunge that doesn't harden and cause problems with reliability. I've gone as many as 1000 rounds without cleaning (not recommended!).

(Edited by jmaass at 5:45 pm on Oct. 14, 2002)

Jeff thanks for the reply.

I have been researching different powders in reference to performance/consistency, and availability. i have been interested in the SP2 for some time now, and would like to give it a try. I always used to use 540/HS6 for my loads,and loading to the short length I found it hard to make major with the slowest of powders with a safe margin. I have been playing a bit with HS7, and the loads thus far are around a 160PF with 9.7gr, with a WW115gr fmj. I am in Canada, and therefore I am under the IPSC 160PF standard. I would like to be up around 165-170,hopefully I can get the bullet seated with all that powder to 1.155"! Thanks again, is there any chance you will be adding more to your IPSC loads list? I have a few that I could add if you like. Thanks again!

Jody:

I'm always open to adding loads to the IPSC Loads Lists, as I receive them. Loads that don't simply duplicate those already on the Lists are likely to get added quickly. The others I add as I have time.

I would particularly like to add more loads for some of the newer powders, including 3N38, and the RAMSHOT powders.

I have plans to do some load development again someday, when work lets up a bit. I bought 4 pounds of 3N38 when it first came out, with the expectation that it might be the new SP2, but I haven't had a chance to try it yet!

Since I load to 1.250", I have more case capacity to play with. You might try 3N37 in your short space.

Jeff, any experience with Alliant Power Pistol? Haven't heard much about it other than that it generates mega-amounts of muzzleblast. As far as consistency,and performance,I haven't heard anything. I have to plan my ammo with powder that is available, its not so easy when you have to import it. The Viht. powders are selling up here from around $38/lb and up! Hodgson is the most plentiful I have found, with some of the IMR powder in circulation as well. Thanks again with your help, and when I get my information together, I'll email you my loads for the short length 921.

In regards to my pistol, it is an older P9 frame with newer Tanfoglio parts; slide, etc...I am using a Storm Lake Machine barrell at 5.5" and a four chamber comp, with 4 side ports (2 on each side on the last 2 chambers) raked rearwards, they are the same type of port as what Bill Wilson used on Barnharts gun. This comp with the lower power factor works great. I like to use powder on the slower side of things, to keep everything flat. I was interested in the power pistol, I read somewhere that the muzzleblast was extreme, so what I was wondering, where is the powder burning off the most?  If it is burning the whole way out the barrell and into the comp, wouldn't  that relate to good efficiency for the comp? I'm only guessing on its performance, maybe someone could share with me their experience.