Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Very old brass

bbbean

Before I got my press, I simply left my brass on the ground when I practiced or plinked out on the farm. Between my back yard and my favorite spot on the farm, there are probably several thousand recoverable rounds of brass.

Problem is that some of this brass has been outside and in the mud for years. Is it worth the time and trouble to pick it up and clean it, or should I stick with the brass I'm picking up as I shoot and once fired range brass?

Before I got my press, I simply left my brass on the ground when I practiced or plinked out on the farm. Between my back yard and my favorite spot on the farm, there are probably several thousand recoverable rounds of brass.

Problem is that some of this brass has been outside and in the mud for years. Is it worth the time and trouble to pick it up and clean it, or should I stick with the brass I'm picking up as I shoot and once fired range brass?

Throw them in the case cleaner and you should be fine... If they have been out there a while I would inspect every case though...

I would not recover brass that has been in the ground for years, particularly in a non desert climate. On the other hand I am shooting some old balon head cases in 44 Special with mild loads. This brass was manufactured early after WWII.

Edited by TonyT

To get the black off, you can use citric acid (lemmon juice, old orange juice) or a vitamin C tablet in hot water (ascorbic acid - same thing?). Also vinegar will take the black off (most of it anyway). Then tumble with brass polish. But make sure to dry it completely and quickly after the acid bath.

I would ONLY reload recovered blackened brass with LOW pressure loadings, ie, MINOR or .45 ACP. Do NOT load it to major anything. And any steel cases that are rusted through - forget it!!!

If it's turned black, forget it!! Even running it through the case cleaner won't eliminate that, and it's going to be very brittle. Not worth picking up in that condition.

Alan~^~