Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Front sight at the muzzle?

Dave Gundry

Hey guys, gathering parts for my first AR. One thing I'd like to do is mount a standard gas block style front sight near the muzzle to increase sight radius. But, the barrel is about .725" diameter up there. So far, the only front sights I have found have been:

Standard A2 - .750", needs drilling & tapping for set screws

Standard A1 - .625", needs drilling & tapping for set screws

JP - .750", clamp on

Armalite - .750", clamp on

Without resorting to the JP .730" railed gas block like front sight mount and a separate removable front sight, what are my options? Keep in mind I don't have access to a mill or lathe. My only idea is to get the A1 sight and drill it out and call it good (would probably turn out like crap, but might work good enough), or fab up some sort of shim for the .750" sights... Or are the JP and Armalite clamp on sights 'flexible' enough to take up the ~.025" of slop and stay put?

I had to have a standard A2 front sight bored and then some set screws drilled and tapped. I then loc-tited it also. It works great.

The smith didn't charge me too much to bore it out (I can't remember how much).

I had to have a standard A2 front sight bored and then some set screws drilled and tapped. I then loc-tited it also. It works great.

The smith didn't charge me too much to bore it out (I can't remember how much).

A2 sight should be .750" - did you mean an A1 sight (.625), or are you running a bull barrel? If A1, do the sight guts interchange with standard A2 parts? Any height discrepancy?