Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Draw Video, Would Appreciate Any Comments

Feek

Greetings.

First off, hello! I'm a fairly new person to this board. I've ordered Brian's book and a T-shirt so I'm looking forward to receiving them and having a read when they finally arrive.

Secondly, being in the UK means I can't shoot handguns with real ammunition so I'm limited to air pistols. However, for what I'm going to talk about here, it doesn't actually matter.

Here is a 1.85Mb zip file containing a 1 second .avi of myself drawing and shooting. It's taken indoors using my air pistol and although the cartridges are charged with air, they were double and treble checked to ensure there were no pellets in them. The video is hosted on my DSL so there's only 256k bandwidth available. If the download is slow, please be patient! I deliberately left it at this high file size for maximum quality.

I did some trial runs today practising my draw, focus on target and shoot both once, twice and then move to another target and shoot twice again. The targets were as far as I could realistically get them in my front room, ie only about three metres away.

I was consistantly under a second to the first shot with about a .2 split to the second. With air pistols there's no recoil to worry about so they are true double taps. I'm happy that my shots would have been in the A zone each time.

My fastest time was 0.86 seconds to the first shot, and I hit that a couple of times. The video linked above is the second of them. The majority of the <1.0 second times were around 0.95.

Is this reasonable? I notice from the video that it's about a fifth of a second before I react to the CED6000 shot timer beep, should I be looking to speed up my reactions?

I still consider myself a novice shooter. I only bought my first gun last year, and didn't touch the revolvers until around November time.

I'd appreciate any feedback please.

Thanks,

Keith.

OK, I've captured the first 0.86 as well and changed the audio parameters of the captures to get smaller avi files. Now both two draws are in the same .zip file and it's smaller than before. If you've already downloaded it, then you'll need to do it again!

I was faster reacting to the timer first time, but slower getting on target.

Keith.

Notice you're bending your knees when you're about to line up your gun (on target? hard to tell from the video :D)

Try assuming your "fired positon", draw and move only your hands in the draw. This also helps align your sights faster since only your gun is moving (instead of the gun and your head).

Try drawing with your hand already on the gun. See how much time your losing getting into the gun/grip.

HTH. ;)

BTW, those are already fast times. Reminds me of the days when all I can dry fire with is my airsoft glock 17.

- As mentioned, your whole body is moving after the beep. No need for that. If you are going to bend a bit when you start shooting, try to get into that position before the beep.

- Looks like you are using the "scoop" draw. I think most feel that the scoop is fast, but also less consistent.

- Your weak hand, hard to tell from the video...are you getting it in the same place to meet the gun, every time?

- You are plenty fast already. I'd focus on cleaning up the movement, and going for consistency & accuracy.

B)

Thanks guys, you both picked up on exactly the same thing I did, and that's the extra bending of the knees as I bring the gun up and on target. It's not comething I was aware I was doing until I saw the videos for myself. I'll work on that.

I wasn't aware of the feelings regarding the scoop draw though. I'll look into that further.

As far as I can tell (and I'll do some more videos with the whole of me in), my weak hand is hitting the gun the same place every time, but I can't confrm that until I see it for myself. It sure feels that way though.

It'll be interesting to try it with my hand on the grip as well. I can't shoot this weekend so I'll get a shedload of cartridges charged and do some more work when I'd normally be at the range.

It's pleasing to know my speed is fast already, thanks for the comments.

Keith.

I'm betting your air pistol weighs much lesser than the real thing (or at least balances differently)?

That being the case, the scoop draw may work since the gun will not torque in your fingers as much. However, test it with the real thing also just to be sure you can do the same consistently.

;)

You can grab the gun fast enough, but the most important parts of the draw aren't capture on the clip. How you present it on target seperates the men from the boys. I think most can hit a target well under a second at 3 yards, in reality it is hard to miss a target at 3 meters. But hitting an A zone at 15-25 yards off the draw will be a better test of skill than 3 meter draw. I think you need to send a clip of the whole draw and not just the grasp before you can get real good feedback.