Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How much clearance around a 650

duckear

I am going to be pulling the trigger on a 650 with casefeeder soon.

How much clearance will I need outside the dimensions of the strong mount on each side?

My bench is 8' long, but only the left 4' of it is devoted to the reloading. My 650, scale, bins, primers, pickup tubes, bullet puller, boxes of bullets, a bucket of brass, etc pretty much fill up the available space. The press is mounted in the center of the 4' span, and I've never wished I'd put it in a different spot. I don't think an overall loading area less than 36" wide would be very comfortable.

On the right side of the press I have a bin that loaded ammo is dropped into, the scale to dial-in the charge weight, and it's also where I load primers. I try to keep the 'stuff' listed above (that takes up space, but isn't constantly diddled with) to the left of the machine.

A 650 realistically takes up over a foot of bench by itself, so anything narrower than 4' long is going to result in having some of the stuff you need on the floor while you work.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

How much clearance will I need outside the dimensions of the strong mount on each side?

A 650 with case feeder, 650 strong mount, bullet tray attached to strong mount (highly recommended), and acro bin attached for finished rounds requires a total footprint of 18" wide x 18" deep x 41" high.

Larry

I have 3 650's set up on a 10 ft counter top. From the end of the counter top to the outside of the strong mount on the last 650 is 66". From the strong mount of #1 650 to the strong mount of #2 650 is 13" (distance between the machines). My scale, my calipers and primer tubes can all be placed in that 13" space without being difficult to get to or use. This setup has been efficient for me, not only for reloading, but for doing any infrequent work on the presses.

CAW

I have my 650 on a strong mount, mounted on an old desk. I find that I like the ability to clear/inspect the hopper when I have thrown too much brass in. Mounting it lower also allows me to sit rather than stand when I reload. This comes in handy when conducting an all night loading session.