Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

HighVelocity

HighVelocity

You're right about that, D, no doubt it was a cheap lesson. Thank you again for the quick diagnosis which allowed me to fix it and put it back in the game so Ken could use it. If Ken had gone first and my rifle choked on him, I'd have been both mad AND embarrased. :blush:

On the pistol part, I got it over with quickly so I could hurry over to the rifle stage and make big noise and fire balls. :lol:

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

MD'd an IDPA BUG match for my home club last week. It was fun but difficult for me to think about the shooting. We had 27 BUG guns in a small indoor space and just keeping it safe and challenging pretty much sucked up all conscious thought. I think the shooters that attended had a good time, though.

I spent quite a bit of quality time with my rifle last week too and I feel like that HOA at a carbine match is getting closer. :devil: I also found some sharp edges that I didn't know about and just how dirty my rifle can get and still run.

Edited by HighVelocity

I shot CDP in my local club's indoor IDPA match last night. A couple of the stages were limited and only zero hits counted. Lately I've been shooting faster than my front sight dictated and dropping more points than I'm used to, just trying to speed up but that definitely wasn't going to work at this match. I focused on being smooth and watching the front sight. I didn't have the fastest raw time but I only dropped 1 point in the match and was 1st overall. :)

It was a good learning session for me.

Oh boy... The wheels came off the short bus today. Zeroed a classifier, was not smooth on the rest of the stages, mags decided they would not drop free, it was rediculous. :blink:

Smooth = good, not smooth = not good. I'm going to tattoo it on my forehead.

I think I reeled it back in a bit at an IDPA match this evening. My focus was there, stage times were acceptable and other than a missed headshot on a limited stage, the points dropped weren't too many.

I did have a couple of weapon failures that cost some time. I thought it was an oil issue but after oiling it up, it happened a 2nd time. Now I think it's a magazine issue because it was exactly the same symptom and using the same mag. Oh well... :rolleyes:

It was fun anyway and despite the malfunctions, I still whooped RVman. :lol:

Edited by HighVelocity

Thanks, Bill. ;)

Today, I got a few hours of practice in with my friend. Suddenly, I find myself having difficulty shifting focus from the target to the front sight. Even though I identified the issue, I struggled to correct it. Finally, I decided that I was just burning ammo so I put the gun away and ran the timer.

My friend, however, made notable advances in more than one area and was excited about it. It was really cool to see that happen. :cheers:

I may be making an assumption, here, in which case feel free to tell me I'm full of poop..... :ph34r:

You have been putting in a LOT of work lately and your shooting has clearly improved. You're about at the spot where not only do you expect things to happen but you try to make them happen because you've been putting in all the work and have expectations of serious improvement. Expectations and trying will screw up more matches than you could ever imagine, trust me!

If that's the case, stop trying and just start shooting.

You have been putting in a LOT of work lately and your shooting has clearly improved. You're about at the spot where not only do you expect things to happen but you try to make them happen because you've been putting in all the work and have expectations of serious improvement. Expectations and trying will screw up more matches than you could ever imagine, trust me!

If that's the case, stop trying and just start shooting.

Interesting. I will think about this in depth. You may be onto something.

Thanks! :cheers:

Today, I spent some quality time with the 25 yard plate rack. I was relaxed, and just let the shooting happen. The plates didn't have a chance.

5 hours later, I shot my home club's indoor IDPA match. My plan was to be smooth, see what I needed to see and not take any shots unless I was seeing well enough for it to be a zero hit. It was fun, everything I did felt good and I am happy with my performance.

My gun ran flawlessly too so I believe I have THAT sorted out. All in all, it was a great day.

It was a fun filled weekend of shooting. I got a few hours of practice with my buddy on Friday, shot a little home-grown action pistol match on Saturday & was HOA, and shot a plate match with my Ruger 22 today. Topped it off with a great chicken fried steak. MMMM MMMM! A perfect weekend.

Down 18lbs now too. Going to have to hit the bike to get rid of that chicken fried steak but it was worth it. ;)

I ran through the IDPA classifier COF today, just for fun. It's been about 10 months since the last one. I shot it to the best of my ability and had zero weapon malfunctions. Still, missed making Master in ESP by 7 seconds. Dropped too many points on stage 3. I see more distance shooting is required in future practice sessions. :yawn:

post the breakdown and lets see where you lost the points. 89 seconds is a eternity for a fast trigger like you.

I could've pulled the trigger a little faster today and probably not given up much. My tac loads were pretty sloppy and the El Prez was less than impressive but I don't think that was the difference. Dropping 17 points was enough.

stage 1:

0 down

TT 28.53

stage 2:

6 pts down = 3.0

TT 27.08

stage 3:

11 pts down = 5.5

TT 41.53

Total 97.14

7.73 seconds from MA.

Unless you see a monumental math error, it is what it is.

edited to add: well, I just looked up my previous classifier times and I've shaved a whole 5.16 seconds off my best ESP run in just 15 months. I find that pretty disappointing. Most of it was on stage 2. Stage 3 was only 1.28 seconds better.

I need to go back and work on the fundamentals. :wacko:

Edited by HighVelocity

Today, I was helping some friends get classified for the 1st time. The sun was shining bright and the temp was about 55. It was a really nice afternoon to be at the range. My friends got their first IDPA classifications and had fun doing it.

Since we had the time and there were plenty of Safety Officers present, I decided to go ahead and update my CDP classification (expired 3 weeks ago). Funny thing, I didn't really care how it turned out, just wanted to stay current. It turned out to be the fastest classifier I ever shot. :o

IDPA CDP

Stage 1:

2 point down = 1.0

TT = 25.89

Stage 2:

3 pts down = 1.5

TT = 24.59

Stage 3:

6 pts down = 3.0

TT = 37.06

total time 87.24

Ironically, I used the same pistol and holster that I started with in 2006. Guess I can scratch one goal off my list for 2009. :D

Edited by HighVelocity