Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Wolf 223 Ar-15 Primers

usp45ss

I've been putting it off for about as long as I can stand, so I'm going to start loading 223 for my ar15's. I was looking at buying a case of primers for Wideners or Powdervalley. I've had really good luck with Wolf primers in my pistols, so I'll give them a shot for 223. Powdervalley has Wolf 223 (ar-15) small rifle primers. What is the difference between them and regular? Are they harder like military primers? Would it be worthwhile to get them, or are they simply not needed?

I plan of loading 55gr FMJ's with H335 and 69-75gr with Varget if it matters.

I've been putting it off for about as long as I can stand, so I'm going to start loading 223 for my ar15's. I was looking at buying a case of primers for Wideners or Powdervalley. I've had really good luck with Wolf primers in my pistols, so I'll give them a shot for 223. Powdervalley has Wolf 223 (ar-15) small rifle primers. What is the difference between them and regular? Are they harder like military primers? Would it be worthwhile to get them, or are they simply not needed?

I plan of loading 55gr FMJ's with H335 and 69-75gr with Varget if it matters.

I have not used any wolf primers to date. I have been using the CCI 5.56 primers for my AR, and 7.62 primers for my Fal. They are supposed to be made specifically for military style rifle with free float firing pins. I have had great success with them so far. Then again they could be the plain rifle primers repackaged. :roflol:

Somewhere in Wolf's litterature it says the .223 primers have a harder cup for guns with floating firing pins. I don't know if it matters, but the Wolf primers I've used in my rifles have been fine.

I just received a case of these from Powder Valley. Upon inspection I noted that the thickness of the cup (as measured at the open edge) is thicker than standard SR Primers. I also noted that there does not appear to be any coating on the anvil/primer compound such as on Federals, Winchester, and CCI's. Will this make them more vulnerable to variations in humidity prior to loading??? Don't know here, anyone out there with info on this?

• 4 weeks later...

I have had good luck with with the small pistol wolf primers in .40sw, good performance, reliable ignition and only 87 per 5000, so I bought 1000 of the small rifle to try. I have not loaded them yet in the AR, but from what I have researched, there is supposed to be no ignition difference between the wolf magnum and standard primers, the magnums just have a thicker cup, which is generally recommended for the AR15. Everyone I have spoken to that has shot the wolf standard small primers out of an AR has not had any problems, but it seems to be generally recommended to purchase the magnums for a little extra safety. When I get brave, I will try some soon, in small batches and only load 2-3 in a mag at a time. Anyone here have any first hand test results? I dont have any of the magnums yet. I also read that the wolf primers were supposed to manufactured by PMC out of Korea, I have read that at two other forums from reliable people, but I have not been able to confirm it for myself.