Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Open/Standard Conversion

NOSAJ19

Have just purchased Gold Custom V8 38 Super.

If I purchase a Limited Custom barrel & have the slide cut to accept a front sight, is this all the work needed to covert the gun from Open to Standard configuration?

Cheers, Ando.

Edited by NOSAJ19

Hey Ando

Technically that's all you need to do. The front sight can be cut with a carbide end mill first to cut through the glass-hard slide and then use a 15 degree dove-tail cutter to make the dove-tail cut for a front sight. Put the Henning iFiber on it and you'll have a nice setup. It's good to have the front sight first before you start cutting into it. I can give you the exact physical measurements of the iFiber if you want to put my sight in it. You'll want the slide cut undersized to give it a tight fit.

Barrel is the other question; are you switching to 40 s&w or staying with 38 super? If you stay with 38 super it'll be easy. And the 38 super slide's breech face should be able to accept the 40 S&W case. Technically when you're switching calibers you want to make sure the breechface (where the case sits in the slide) is large enough / accepts the other case or it will have to be opened. This is a job for a gunsmith and not the easiest one to do. I think you'll be alright, but just want to make sure you're aware of that the slide will have to be able to accept the case and it's not always just a matter of switching out the barrel.

Edited by sinnsyk

H,

thanks for the speedy & informative reply. I'll stick with 38Super at the moment & possibly convert to357Sig in the future (cos I'm in Australia). Your products (& this forum) are making a good showing here & are largely responsible for the growth in popularity of the Tanfoglio brand both here & in the States, IMO. iFibre will be my front sight of choice, as will many other of your products. Keep up the great work.

Cheers, Ando.

Edited by NOSAJ19

Ando,

Sounds good. The Austrlian Tanfoglio importer has shown interest in carrying my product over there as well which will make my aftermarket parts more readily available to you and Tanfoglio fans in Australia. No doubt there isa growth in interest in Tanfoglios world wide. They're very nicely made pistols that are esthetically pleasing.