Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Magazine Interchangability

Flippinstk

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year All,

I sent Henning a pm/email a few days ago but I sent it from work so I dont know if it got to him. But basically the question I was asking was about the ability to interchange large frame magazines between calibers. Tanfolgio large frame magazines are all the same size, so theoretically they should fit in the 9mm, 38super the 40 or whatever large frame you have right? Now I know that the opening at the top will effect the rounds ability to feed properly so that would have to be adjusted. And seeing as the 9mm and 38Super rounds are very close in measurements I should be able to take one of Hennings 38 Super 28+1 mags and use it in my 9mm Stock right? I shoot TSA and after the 1st mag, which must be stock, we can change out to a big stick and this is about the closest thing to a big stick that I can see that would work. I appreciate the input.

Alex

Hey Alex. I checked my inbox and I cannot see a message from you. The best way is always to email me through my website.

All large frame mags fits in all large frame models. Each caliber has it's own magazine to accomodate the differences in the round. That being said, a 40 and 45 mag are very similar with feed lips being different. If you are able to change them, you can use them. But you can also very easily ruin them if you cut material off or they break. The current 9mm has a spacer to hold factory 9x19 in place. The 38 super mag with the two rails is very different from the 9mm design. Neither are far from perfect. If you try to convert one to another caliber you're entering new territory. Not that it hasn't been thought of or half-heartedly tried, but to be successful in creating a functional 9mm magazine out of a 38 super you are on your own. You may need to completely re-shape the magazine and possibly add spacer (in rear I would suggest). Some good tools and no fear.. I wish you luck and feel free to share your experience or call me for help/thoughts/ideas.