Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

38 super ejector lenght?

Freddie the Swede

Hi all,

I shoot a 2011 38 super and it works really good and ejects cleanly. I have made the gun myself from SPS frame, Caspian slide and a Nowlin barrel.

My problem is that when I try to eject a live round it won't eject the way I like (I have a SVI pretuned ejector). The nose of the bullet hits the front side of the ejection hole. This never happened on my 45 or my 9mm 1911.

I know the reason and it's the ejector lenght. But, to get the ejection to be really nice and long everyone told me to have an ejector that is as long as possible.

So, my question is. Is it not possible to have a combination of clean brass ejection together with clean live ammo ejection??

Actually it's not a big problem, only a really small one if I get a stoppage and need to eject a dud round.

Happy New year and I wish you all a good 2009

Fredrik Lundbeck

IPSC SWEDEN

Edited by Freddie the Swede

Hi all,

I shoot a 2011 38 super and it works really good and ejects cleanly. I have made the gun myself from SPS frame, Caspian slide and a Nowlin barrel.

My problem is that when I try to eject a live round it won't eject the way I like (I have a SVI pretuned ejector). The nose of the bullet hits the front side of the ejection hole. This never happened on my 45 or my 9mm 1911.

I know the reason and it's the ejector lenght. But, to get the ejection to be really nice and long everyone told me to have an ejector that is as long as possible.

So, my question is. Is it not possible to have a combination of clean brass ejection together with clean live ammo ejection??

Actually it's not a big problem, only a really small one if I get a stoppage and need to eject a dud round.

Happy New year and I wish you all a good 2009

Fredrik Lundbeck

IPSC SWEDEN

Hi Fredrick,

I built 2 Open 38sup for my wife and these work, I guess, the same good as yours but with a PLUS as she never had any trouble to "Show clear" after she's finished (I prefer not to talk about a dude even if we see it many times as RO, but never as shooters ourselves). I load her ammo with 142 Gr copper plated RN at 1.268" (~32.20mm) ahead of 8.20Gr of Vv 3N38 with CCI500 in Armscor shells.

The longest ejector is ~4.56 mm protruding, both from EJW.

Maybe the picture will tell you more...

Happy new year

DVC

J-P

Ejector_Blue.pdf

Freddie,

I had the same problem with my 38 SuperComp open gun. Ran great, fed great. When I would try to clear the gun the fight was on. I solved the problem by shortening my reloads by .0015" (1.250" to 1.235"). The gun clears every time now.

CYa,

Pat

the way to keep your rounds the length you need & still use a long ejector is

to have the opening in your ejection port in you slide cut longer.

some open guns with scope mounts work better when the ports are lowered & also

lengthened .