Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Heavy lead bullet for practice

Freddie the Swede

Hi all,

I have the possibility to buy 6.000 145 grain lead bullet for less than half the price of 124 grain MFJ bullets, should I buy them?

I'm not intending to use them for competition, just for practice.

What's your thought about this? I'm thinking that it can't do any harm as it wil let me practice more for less.

I used to shoot 135 grain speer gold (If I remember right) the last time I shot in 2001. These bullet where really sweet to shoot.

Any opinions or thoughts.

By the way, I'm shooting an SPS 38 super with a caspian slide, 5,5" Nowlin barrel and a quad comp and a C-more.

Many thanks

Fredrik Lundbeck

IPSC Sweden

Freddie,

Issues you need to consider.

Cons:

Lead in a comped gun, I don't like this idea, but many people do and they get good results, be aware of how often you will need to clean the comp properly.

A much heavier bullet will obviously be going noticably slower. This will imping on the effectiveness of the comp. Plus it will make the slide speed alter and may affect ejection angle v's scope mount. I suspect this will not be a big issue, but be aware.

Point of Impact change. Thorough testing required to ensure that you are aware of any changes.

Barrel leading.

Change of powder may be required, a rehashing of the load development

Non of the above cons are insurmountable.

Pros:

Cheap, saves money and allows you too shoot more for any available funds.

You may like them

The gun may shoot more accurately

You will use less powder, again less costly.

Usually a reduction of pressure, handgun will be more forgiving.

All else fails

Have fun

There obviously will be a few differences by using the heavier bullet. Eric Grauffel I believe still trains with heavy bullets with an unported barrel in his "practice" gun. I've tried it, my gun flipped a bit more, and had a mushy feel for recoil (soft). For practice, well the more trigger time the better, cheaper= more rounds downrange. If you shot these alot, I would at least shoot some 124 match ammo well before a major match to get used to the feelings of the different ammo. I have a friend that used to shoot a cast 147gr bullet in his .38 Super that Matt Mclearn built years ago and he shot it really well, not sure what he used for the load, but it actually shot pretty flat. I say buy them and try them out.

• 2 weeks later...