Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New shooter needs help w/factory ammo

xman

I'm new to competition shooting. I'm starting out easy w/ NRA steel plate comp.  I am shooting 45ACP but am using 230gr FMJ loads.  They are a bit rough.  Any suggestions on a lighter load, I do not reload my own yet, so I would need avail factory ammo.  Thanks

You might look for a company called Precision Cartridge in Hobart, Indiana.  When I shot an HK 45, I used their 185 JHP load, which was a 185 Hornady XTP with Winchester 231 powder.  It was about as soft as a commercial load as I found.  I never chrono'd it, but it tracked real nice as was good for accuracy.  Clean too.

Look them up on the web, they have a sight.

another alternative my be Sandro Diaz at A-Zone Ammunition.  He can likely set you up with a sweet load to your liking.  Especially, if you are shooting NRA, and the power factor is 120,000 (correct me, someone, if I'm wrong).  I've shot his stuff before I got my Dillon, and now that I'm 900 miles away from it.  Price is decent too.

I work at a training center/range/gunstore and we sell Winchester Range - it is a low-cost parctice load (even less than Winchester "White Box") and is made w/ new Winchester brass, primer, and a 185 grain TC or truncated cone flatpoint low lead bullet. It is a mild load that is not herd on the gun; you will have to buy or borrow a chronograph to see what PF it makes before showing up to a big match with a "chrono stage".

.45 is perhaps the easiest/most safe USPSA caliber ot reload - brass lasts forever and safely splits when it wears out; it safely makes 165 PF Major at very low pressure, and is more forgiving of slight reloading errors than say -  the hot major 9mms like the 9Supercomp I shoot, the 38 Super, etc.

If you decide to reload,  you might consider posting a WTB - Dillon over on the USPSA classifieds and see what folks offer you.  Alternatively, Brian sells new Dillon gear at excellent prices.